- At Beta Freeze, all packages should be code complete, all known bugs should be fixed, as we prepare the last test release for widespread coordinated testing of bug fixes
- Freezing the package collection makes sure there is adequate time to prepare and test the Beta Release before making it publicly available.
- Changes to Critical Path Packages after Beta Freeze must follow the exception process described here.
- Changes to non-Critical Path Packages are peer-driven via Bodhi. They do not require an exception from Release Engineering, but they should use established the Bodhi peer-review, karma system.
- New packages can still be reviewed, added in CVS and built
- Development builds of packages can continue, however they will not be included in the test release unless you request a break of the freeze for your build.
Requesting an exception
If you believe there is a good reason for you to break the Beta freeze, you must request an exception.
- Build and test your package before submitting anything.
- Submit the freeze exception request by filing a Release Engineering Ticket, or by running
make tag-requestin your package module. Please include the following information:
- A description of what you want to change
- Rationale for why the change is important enough to be allowed in after the freeze
- The koji build nvr (name-version-release)
- Impact of not accepting the change at this point of the schedule
- Description of testing you've already done on the development to help reduce the risk
Evaluating requests for exception
The Release Engineering team will evaluate your request and provide feedback.
- Approval comes in the form of +1's (meaning Yes or I approve).
- Two +1's (without any negative feedback or -1's) are necessary to build. If there is negative feedback, conversation ensues and a new vote is taken.
If your request is denied, your package will not appear in Rawhide until the freeze ends. If you disagree with Release Engineering's decision, you may enter an appeal with FESCo. To start the appeals process with FESCo create a ticket with FESCo.