BIND 9 would be updated to upcoming stable version BIND 9.16.
- Name: Petr Menšík
- Email: pemensik at redhat.com
- Email: dns-sig at fedoraproject dot org
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2021-01-14
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
ISC BIND 9 stayed longer time on 9.11 Extended Support Version, because dhcp and freeipa depended on it. DHCP package no longer requires bind-export-libs, which new BIND 9.16 does not support. FreeIPA part bind-dyndb-ldap were also modified to support new version.
BIND 9.16 includes more easy way to provide DNSSEC (KASP).
Benefit to Fedora
Stable version under most the active development is packaged again. Introduces DNSSEC Key and Signing Policy without external tools like opendnssec. Also client tools from bind-utils now support yaml export format (dig, mdig, delv).
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- lightweight resolver (lwres) server and nss client plugin are no longer provided.
- named version with database backends support (bind-sdb) is also no longer provided as subpackage. Instead several bind-dlz-* plugins are offered as runtime loadable plugins, which require modification to named configuration. They offer the same functionality with just bind package and selected plugin.
How To Test
System administrators would receive the most recent stable version of BIND, with improved performance and features. Prerelease is available on COPR.
- named service supports dnssec-policy option, merging dnssec-keymgr into named.
- DNSSEC trust anchors were merged into trust-anchors section, replacing previous trusted-keys and managed-keys.
- dig +yaml provides machine parseable output in YAML format
bind-dyndb-ldap -> freeipa
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? product