Update GNOME to the latest upstream release. Depending on the Fedora 21 schedule, this might be GNOME 3.12 or 3.14.
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Workstation
- Responsible WG: Workstation
- Targeted release: Fedora 21
- Last updated: 2014-03-05
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The new features for GNOME 3.12 include:
- More complete hi-dpi support
- gnome-software better integrated
- totem is now Videos
- New applications:
- gnome-logs: A systemd journal viewer
- gnome-sound-recorder: A simple utility for audio recordings
- polari: A irc client
- Google cloud print support
- Windows live email support
- A terminal search provider
The Wayland port of GNOME is still a preview in 3.12.
The feature set for GNOME 3.14 has not been determined yet.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora stays in sync with upstream.
- Proposal owners:
- Keep existing GNOME packages updated
- Follow upstream module changes
- Package new applications and new dependencies of existing GNOME packages
- gnome-logs (Done)
- Other developers:
- Package new dependencies:
- Package new dependencies:
- Release engineering:
- Extract app data for gnome-software during package builds and provide it in repositories
- Policies and guidelines:
- Add app data expectations to packaging guidelines
Upgrading from GNOME 3.10 to a newer release should not have a major impact. Compatibility of installed shell extensions cannot in general be guaranteed. GNOME 3.12 introduces a setting to disable the version check for adventurous users.
How To Test
Generic 'desktop testing' is always appropriate for a major new desktop version.
Specific testing for new features: TBD
Notable additions or changes to the GNOME user experience in 3.12 include:
- The app folders that are used in the overview can now be managed in gnome-software
- GTK+ dialogs are using header bars
- Wired network status is again being shown in the system status area
As part of the Wayland port, GNOME now depends on libinput. Launching of Wayland sessions from gdm requires logind.
GNOME 3.12 will be released in March 2014, so it is not in doubt that we'll be able to ship it in Fedora 21. 3.14 may or may not fit into the Fedora 21 schedule.
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? Complete Wayland support may require 3.14
- GNOME 3.12 planned features
- GNOME 3.12 https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointEleven/ schedule]
- GNOME 3.12 release notes (not yet available)
- GNOME 3.14 planned features (not yet available)
- GNOME 3.14 https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThirteen/ schedule] (not yet available)
- GNOME 3.14 release notes (not yet available)
Fedora 21 includes the latest version of the GNOME desktop, 3.12. For more information about what is new in this GNOME release, see the release notes.