m (Fujiwara moved page Changes/Mmap IBus emoji and Unicode data to Changes/IBus 1.5.24: More generic title)
Revision as of 12:39, 30 December 2020
Mmap IBus emoji and Unicode data
IBus will use the mmap(2) feature to show emoji and Unicode tables in order to reduce the physical memory usage.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2020-12-30
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Currently IBus disables the emoji and Unicode features in some system users likes gdm, liveuser, gnome-initial-setup not to exhaust the limited memory usage with LiveDVD. The emoji data requires about 10MB and the Unicode data requires about 15MB and the total 25MB is required roughly to show the tables. The Fedora testers ask to test the emoji feature and Unicode feature in LiveDVD and the next IBus will use mmap to be available the emoji and Unicode data with liveuser.
Fedora I18N testers asks to test the emoji and Unicode data without installing Fedora to disc.
Benefit to Fedora
IBus will reduce the physical memory usage to load the emoji and Unicode data per user.
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A
- Alignment with Objectives:
About 25MB free disc space will be needed.
How To Test
- Run Fedora LiveDVD and log into the Fedora desktop
gnome-control-center regionand add both XKB and input method sources. E.g. "English (US)" and "Hangul"
- Enable an XKB source with mouse or Super-space shortcut key. E.g. "English (US)"
- Type Ctrl-Shift-e, "smile", space, and Enter key.
U+1F603 is output.
The physical memory usage will be reduced.
- Contingency mechanism: Revert the change to IBus.
- Contingency deadline: Beta release
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None