Deprecate YUM 3
Remove yum (v3) and all related packages from Fedora.
- Name: Daniel Mach
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 29
- Last updated: 2018-06-27
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Remove packages from the distribution:
* yum * yum-langpacks * yum-utils, * yum-metadata-parser * python-urlgrabber
All these packages should no longer be used and all software using them should be migrated to DNF.
Benefit to Fedora
Drop an old package manager that has no active upstream development. Move existing users to DNF which that has active development. Secondary benefit is reducing number of packages in Fedora that still depend on Python 2.
- Proposal owners: Remove packages from the distribution: createrepo, yum, yum-langpacks, yum-utils, yum-metadata-parser, python-urlgrabber
- Other developers: Either remove packages from the distribution or switch them to DNF
- Release engineering: #7588
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Any tool based on YUM 3 Python API will stop working. This applies on any 3rd party software which won't be changed in Fedora as part of this change. CLI compatibility will be provided by DNF.
How To Test
Repoclosure passes after dropping the packages.
There shouldn't be any impact on YUM users because the functionality is provided by DNF already. Users of tools listed in the Dependencies section shouldn't see any difference if the migration to DNF is done properly.
- Contingency mechanism: Do not remove the packages in the current release.
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
Inform end-users about removing the YUM 3 stack and definitive migration to DNF.