ibus-anthy for default Japanese IME
The current default Japanese IME(input method engine) is ibus-kkc and the default is going to change to ibus-anthy to develop Japanese IME more effectively.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2020-12-03
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Currently some development plans have been pending because of the delay of ibus-kkc  which is the default IME for Japanese and I make the default IME to bring back to ibus-anthy now. Originally the default was changed from ibus-anthy to ibus-kkc because the upstream anthy is no longer updated. Recently I got the agreement with the original developer of anthy and forked it to anthy-unicode and start to change the default IME again.
I also considered about ibus-mozc for the default but the configuration GUI is based on Qt which has the different theme from GNOME desktop in Fedora.
Benefit to Fedora
Make the effective developments in the Japanese IME and apply the latest updates in ibus to each IME more effectively because I'm the maintainer of both ibus and ibus-anthy.
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: gnome-desktop3 for default ja_JP
- Release engineering: #9884
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A
- Alignment with Objectives:
The default installed package will be changed from ibus-kkc to ibus-anthy.
How To Test
Install Fedora with Japanese and the default IME is ibus-anthy.
- The Japanese detabase and some keybindings will be changed
- The setting UI is a little different
- The package size and depended packages are different
- The memory usage is a little different
anthy-unicode and kasumi
- comps has to be updated
- gnome-desktop3 has to be updated
- Contingency mechanism: Revert comps and gnome-desktop3
- Contingency deadline: Beta release
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None