The Fedora Community Action and Impact Coordinator (FCAIC)
is a full-time, Red Hat-employed job to lead initiatives to grow the Fedora user and developer communities, and to make Red Hat / Fedora interactions even more transparent and positive. The Fedora community budget comes to us through The Red Hat Open Source and Standards (OSAS) team, and this position facilitates decision-making on how to best focus that to meet our collective objectives. First and Foremost, the FCAIC supports the Project Leader in all things "Community," and works directly with Fedora Leadership to help bring more Heat and Light to the project.
The FCAIC is appointed to the Community Action and Impact seat on the Fedora Council, Fedora’s top-level community leadership and governance body. The Council is responsible for stewardship of the Fedora Project as a whole, and supports the health and growth of the Fedora Community.
The main vehicle through which the FCAIC achieves these goals and objectives is the Fedora Community Operations Team (CommOps).
|22, 23||Remy DeCausemaker|
|24, ...||Brian Exelbierd|
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with other Council members to identify the short, medium, and long term goals of the Fedora community and to organize and enable the project to best achieve them
- Primary Council member with responsibility for the development of the annual Fedora community budget
- Participate in decision-making about use of trademarks, project structure, community disputes or complaints, and other such issues
- Design and spearhead special initiatives to grow user and contributor bases
- Implement metrics for community engagement, participation, and satisfaction; create and execute projects to improve those metrics; report regularly on progress and adjust approach as needed
- Identify opportunities to engage new contributors and community members; align project around supporting those opportunities
Liaise between Red Hat and FOSS Community
- Communicate community needs to Red Hat and participate in regular meetings with internal Red Hat stakeholders; align Red Hat participation in Fedora beyond platform engineering
- Represent Red Hat’s stake in Fedora community success
- Improve on-boarding materials and presentation of Fedora to new Red Hat hires; develop standardized materials on Fedora which can be used at Red Hat globally.
The FCAIC will work with Fedora Council and OSAS to determine annual Fedora Budget
- Ensure that budget is published and tracked transparently, with a public page indicating how each year’s budget is earmarked and its current state.
- More information at Budget.next
Fedora Event Planning and Participation
Participate in planning and organizing Fedora’s Flagship events each year, including:
- Fedora Activity Days (FADs)
- Red Hat Summit
The FCAIC also represents Fedora at other major industry conferences and hackathons such as:
- PyCon (and Sprints)
- Software Freedom Legal Conference
The FCAIC provides and facilitates regular communications to Fedora Magazine, the Fedora Community Blog, and other mass communication channels to talk about community goals/progress and general community boosting.