Time & Place
Time: 26 - 28 June 2015
Venue: MIT College of Engineering, Pune, India
Pune is a vibrant cultural city in the state of Maharashtra, India. It is located about 150 km east-south of Mumbai, the financial capital of India. Pune has a great distinction of being at the forefront in preserving and giving due prominance to the indigenous Maharashtrian culture, theatre, music, education and arts. Pune is known as the Oxford of the East for its rich educational heritage and variety of educational opportunities offered today.
- India has one of the largest contributor and user bases for Fedora and Open Source in Asia. Both these factors make hosting a FUDCon in India highly compelling and advantageous from a fruitful community interaction as well as budget perspective.
- FUDCon Pune 2011 had over a 1000 attendees over three days. It was conducted with great precision and had 6 parallel tracks with technical talks and workshops. A few moments captured at FUDCon Pune 2011: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kushaldas/sets/72157628097141150/
- The FUDCon in Pune in 2015 will be organized by a few people with past experience from FUDCon Pune 2011, along with new faces with fresh perspectives. The team consists of long-standing Fedora community members that have participated in and organized various FOSS events over the years.
- India is one of Red Hat's largest engineering centers in the world. A lot of the engineers play a very active role in the Fedora and upstream communities.
Getting to Pune
From anywhere else in India
Travelling from elsewhere in India to Pune would cost up to $100 by air, train or road
From outside India
The closest international Airport to Pune is Mumbai, which is about 150 km away which can be covered as a road trip on the expressway by cab/bus or by train at regular intervals round the clock. Direct flights to and from Pune are operated by various airlines to the following destinations:
- Abu Dhabi
Organizers will arrange for transportation between Mumbai airport and Pune.
Indian Visa application
You can get a Tourist, Business or Conference Visa to attend the FUDCon. An Indian visa is valid from the day it is issued, not from the day you arrive in the country.
The Electronic Travel Authorisation(ETA) facility became operational recently for citizens of over 43 eligible countries, including those who are eligible for visa on arrival.
Visa fee depends on the country of origin and nationality of the person applying for the visa. It ranges between 20 - 100 USD.
For further information on this, please check with local embassy office or Indian Visa Application center office or websites for information on applicable fee and payment methods.
Estimated flight costs
Estimated round-trip costs from various locations to Mumbai:
|Hong Kong||$600||Jet Airway|
|Kuala Lumpur||$380||Malindo Air|
|Manila||$680||Jet + philipine Airway|
|Phom Penh||$500||Jet + Thai + Bangkok Airlines|
|New York||$1500||Air Canada|
|San Francisco||$1500||Air Canada|
Auto-rickshaws and call-taxi services are abundant and available. The public bus service is not very good, but we will arrange for transportation for conference speakers and organizers.
Taxi services in Pune:
- Ola Cabs: +91 20 3355 3355
- Taxi For Sure: +91 20 6060 1010
- Easy Ride Cabs: +91 20 27 400 800
- Go Speed Cabs: +91 20 6400 6444
- Traveltime: +91 20 66 000 000
- Wings Radio cabs: +91 20 40100100
- Uber Cabs:
- autowale.in: +91 20 6611 1111
|Hotel||Location||Approx. Distance from venue||Approx. Price||Internet|
|Magnus Service Apartments||Kharadi||15km||$30||Yes|
|Hotel Lotus||Koregaon Park||10km||$36||Yes|
|Cocoon Hotel||Magarpatta City||15km||$61||Yes|
Pune boasts of a wide range of cuisines ranging from international food (like Italian, Chinese, South-east Asian) to various local dishes. Don't miss the famous misal-pav, vada-pav, puranpoli and a variety of other dishes while you are here! Pune caters to food suitable for all palates.
There are various restaurants and eateries near the conference venue as well as accomodation, which are hygenic, tasty and economical.
- Summers begin March to July. Though not as hot as Northern parts of India, the daytimes are very sunny with dry heat.
- Early mornings are pleasant and evenings after six, cool and breezy.
- Temperature: 23*c(min) to 35*c(max) [Approximate values]
- Rainfall: Expected (Monsoon starts end of June/Start of July)
About MIT College of Engineering (MITCOE)
MITCOE is among the top engineering colleges in India and in Pune. They have state of the art facilities, with a large well-equipped auditorium for the main track along with classrooms for parallel tracks. Most importantly though, the college faculty and students have active open source evangelists. MITCOE hosted a Free and Open Source Software event earlier this year called FOSSsumMIT, which was a great success.
Schedule and Budget
- Day 0: Welcome dinner for speakers
- Day 1: Registration, Keynote, talks, Dinner for speakers
- Day 2: Keynote, talks, FUDPub
- Day 3: Workshops, Lightning Talks, Hackfest
- Venue: $0 (sponsored by the college)
- Materials, Swag and Food during the conference: $4,000
- FUDPub: $5,000
- Accommodation: $6,000 (4 days)
- Travel: $10,000 (roundtrip)
We have sponsors for the extra budget requirement.
Amit Shah, Fedora Ambassador and QEMU/KVM developer
Huzaifa Sidhpurwala, Fedora security, provenpackager, infrastructure
Kushal Das, Fedora Ambassador and mentor, Fedora cloud SIG lead and PSF director.
M. R. Niranjan, Identity management QE, Fedora security team
P J P, Fedora Ambassador, provenpackager, Fedora security team and ndjbdns maintainer
Praveen Kumar, Fedora Ambassador and provenpackager
Pravin Satpute, Fedora Ambassador, packager, l10n, i18n.
Rupali Talwatkar, Community outreach at Red Hat
Siddhesh Poyarekar, Fedora Ambassador and glibc maintainer