Owner: User:Ppapadeas (bidding for FUDCon EMEA 2012)
After seeing the vibrant Linux community in Athens, as well as the comparatively inexpensive costs and excellent subway system, MaxSpevack suggested Athens as a potential location for a FUDCon, but needs to follow up with Dimitris to gauge interest.
- Facilities: There is a good chance we could get space at the National Technical University of Athens. PierrosPapadeas is studying there and can help us with that.
- A few FOSS conferences were held there (including FossComm in which Fedora was represented), infrastructure is pretty OK (don't know the details yet but since it's a University it should be OK). Network, wifi, sound in main area of 200, projectors are pretty much covered there. There's also a big lobby area.
- Photos: main room, lobby/cafe, spam, floor.
- Lodging -- Since it's Athens I'm pretty sure we can find a multitude of hotels close by. The venue is a 10' bus from the heart of Athens, the Parthenon etc. Prices are decent (ticket for bus/metro/etc 80c, day ticket €3).
- Budget -- Probably quite lower than other European capitals and expensive cities, but possibly a bit higher than others like Brno.
- Availability: We'll need some concrete dates possible early on to book the venue. The fact that it's weekend will probably make things easier.
- Other details: Two of the local ambassadors (PierrosPapadeas,KostasAntonakoglou are eagerly willing to help. ( :) ) Local LUG is willing to help out. Probably 30+ hackers will come around to participate/watch/etc, since the community here is quite vibrant.
- Flights from big airports in central Europe (Munich, Brussels, Zurich) should cost around 200-300 €. For direct flights check Greek Aegean and Olympic Airlines and local airlines (eg. Lufthansa). Easyjet from London 150-200€.
- GeroldKassube: the price for the cheapest flight (I found today) from Zurich to Athens (both ways) costs approx. CHF 500,- which is about ~ EUR 325,-
Fudcon 2012 Blacksburg Virginia Tech Campus Tentative Dates Jan 13-15th 2012 McBryde Hall (Tentative) Hackfest Friday and Sunday with BarCamp on Saturday
Distance for Raliegh NC 200-233 Miles (depending on route)
Closest Airport is about 35 Miles away Roanoke VA Planefare at time of checking (2/22/11)
Boston Roanoke ~$299 LAX to Roanoke ~$441
Smartway Bus to/from Airport http://www.smartwaybus.com/schedule.htm
Local Mass Transit Blacksburg Transit http://www.blacksburg.gov/index.aspx?page=791
Several Hotels close to campus
Virginia Tech is a huge college with lots of bandwidth to be able to handle Fudcon without a problem Also a Fedora Mirror.
FudPub in Breakzone in Squires Student Center (tentative)
India & Asia/Pacific