|Line 35:||Line 35:|
* Open up system-config-printer as regular user. Notice no root password is asked. Verify that s-c-p asks for the password when necessary (TODO: more detail needed here)
* Use an application that uses the gtk print dialog, like evince, and open
* Use an application that uses the gtk print dialog, like evince, and open the print dialog
the print dialog.
== User Experience ==
== User Experience ==
Revision as of 14:20, 25 July 2008
Management and handling of printers has been improved in many places.
- Name: Tim Waugh, Marek Kasik
- Targeted release: Fedora10
- Last updated: 2008-07-24
- Percentage of completion: 100%
The system-config-printer UI has been overhauled to look friendlier and more in line with modern desktop applications. system-config-printer no longer needs to be run as root.
The GTK+ print dialog gives more feedback about the status of printers, e.g. printers which are out of paper show a little warning emblem on their icon. Paused printers also show an emblem, and printers which are rejecting jobs are grayed out.
Benefit to Fedora
Printing has traditionally been one of the more troublesome areas of the free desktop. Small improvements like these make the printing experience better for users.
Improvements to printer management have been implemented in system-config-printer. Improvements to the printing experience have been implemented in the print dialog in GTK+.
- Open up system-config-printer as regular user. Notice no root password is asked. Verify that s-c-p asks for the password when necessary (TODO: more detail needed here)
- Use an application that uses the gtk print dialog, like evince, and open the print dialog. Now change the status of one of the listed printers, e.g. by putting it in paused mode, or by stealing all its paper. Note that the print dialog shows you the status of the printer by using a different icon, and by
updating the status message.
Here are some screenshots that show the improvements:
- Printer status feedback in the print dialog:
- New system-config-printer interface:
[Insert screenshot here]
Not needed. These are incremental improvements that have already landed in rawhide.
None right now, besides the screenshots above (if there were any).