Dracut is a replacement for nash/mkinitrd.
- Name: Harald Hoyer
- email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: 12
- Last updated: 2009-07-15
- Percentage of completion: 90%
- normal disk with md/dm raid, LVM, crypto
Dracut is a generic, modular initramfs generation tool that can be used across various distributions.
See also: Dracut
Benefit to Fedora
Replace nash/mkinitrd with a tool, that is maintained by a cross distribution community.
All functionality of nash/mkinitrd has to be implemented and tested in dracut. Still missing is netboot (also from iscsi) and proper raid support.
How To Test
Switching root partitions should be more flexible.
Fallback to mkinitrd.
- Sourceforge Project http://sourceforge.net/projects/dracut/
- git git://dracut.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/dracut
- Trac Instance: http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/dracut/
- Mailing List: firstname.lastname@example.org
LWN article: http://lwn.net/Articles/317793/
- mkinitrd/nash has been replaced by dracut, which uses standard tools and scripts to boot from the root partition.
Comments and Discussion