Feature Name Thermostat
Thermostat is an instrumentation tool for the Hotspot JVM, with support for monitoring multiple JVM instances. Currently it is limited to just the local machine.
- Name: Omair Majid
- Email: email@example.com
- Name: Jon VanAlten
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2012-02-07
- Percentage of completion: 90%
Thermostat aims to provide an instrumentation tool for monitoring multiple JVM instances on multiple hosts.
This is the initial release of Thermostat. Goals of thermostat for this release include:
- We want a tool that allows users of IcedTea/OpenJDK to monitor running JVMs on the local machine
- There should be a GUI application.
- Both high level (uptime, cpu and memory usage) and low level (including hotspot's perf data) information should be available through the tool.
- The tool should be usable in a production environment, with minimal overhead.
Future release of thermostat will include many additional features and better support for monitoring applications running in the cloud.
Benefit to Fedora
As a result of this, Fedora becomes a better platform for running and monitoring Java applications.
All of thermostat's dependencies are already in Fedora 17. Only the thermostat package needs to be added to fedora. Thermostat does not require any changes to java-1.7.0-openjdk.
How To Test
- No special hardware is need
- Install thermostat:
yum install thermostat
- Run any java program (for example, eclipse)
- Run thermostat
- It should show you a summary of the local machine as well as a list of, and information about, all java processes running on the local machine.
A GUI application will be available to users. Users will be able to run it and use it to look at other JVM processes running on the same host.
We leave out thermostat. No other package gets affected. We just lose a good tool.
- Fedora 17 includes Thermostat, a new tool for monitoring and instrumenting OpenJDK/Hotspot.
Comments and Discussion
- Thermostat was granted an exception by FESCo: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/801
- See Talk:Features/Thermostat