Proposal for Fedora globalization initiative
One of the objective of Fedora project is to 'Promote a global perspective by supporting as many languages and geographic locales as possible.' This comes under broad category of "Building open source software communities"
Fedora has been remained leading distribution from Globalization perspective.
- Most of the widely used technologies first adopted in Fedora. Ex: IBus.
- Started supporting 22 Indian official languages and many other languages.
- Localization team member not only help translations for Fedora but also work with upstream and follow Fedora philosophy of upstream first.
- Fedora migrated from Transifex and recently started using Zanata as a translation platform.
- Fedora presently supports 323 locales and localized fully in some locales and partially in almost all locales.
Presently Fedora has three groups working on Globalization activities. As follows
- Internationalization: This group work to enable Fedora to use different languages. Fonts, Rendering, Input method, Locales and tools like dictionaries, Spell-checkers.
- Localization: This group works to converts GUI and Documentation from English to Native language. Translating PO files and documentation files.
- Zanata: Translation management framework helps to Localization group for efficient and effective localization. Fedora package maintainers exports .po files to Zanata and localization members help to translate them then package maintainers pulls it back while building packages.
- #fedora-i18n, #fedora-l10n and #zanata
- i18n -> bi-weekly meetings.
- l10n -> Meetings not happening from last few years.
- zanata -> We recently decided to use Zanata as a Fedora default translation management
Documentation for Fedora release
- Presently we have documentation category only for Internationalization http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/21/html/Release_Notes/index.html
- Internationalization and Localization happens differently with focusing on different aspects.
- Planning and change proposals happens differently.
What is proposal
Ultimate goal of these three group is to provide seamless language and cultural experience to Fedora products. Globalization initiative with the collaboration of i18n, l10n and Zanata.
How it will help?
I18n enable Fedora for languages and later it l10n uses it to translate UI into respective language. There is natural synchronization between them.
- I18n works with new products for enabling languages. In next step l10n can use it for localization.
- I18n can make sure, important packages in Fedora are internationalized.
- L10n can propose and test new features for i18n. Predictive text, Fonts, Dictionaries.
- L10n and I18n works with Zanata and make sure things work well from i18n side as well from localization size.
Where to collaborate?
- Understanding present state of Fedora globalization.
- Planning for future Fedora Globalization with the different products Workstation, Server and Cloud.
- More synchronization during Fedora development cycles.
- Change proposals
- Testing days
- Organizing FAD targeting specific objective for Globalization.
- New IRC for globalization #fedora-g11n
- Monthly meeting for Globalization activities within Fedora.
- Collaborative planning for Fedora releases.
- Working together on Test days, Documentation and FAD's.