Geographic Information System
The GIS project is an initiative to package GIS related software, to make Fedora and EPEL attractive platforms for you GIS needs.
Fedora GIS activists hang out in #fedora-gis channel.
Packaging has started for many packages from the wishlist at the bottom, but hasn't finished yet for one reason or another. If you want to help in packaging them or want something to base your private packages on for now, you can check out volter's git repo:
Note: It also contains other packages. Please read the README files. These files don't reflect the official spec files. It's just work in progress.
- clusterPy - Library of spatially constrained clustering algorithms
- Emerillon - A map viewer for GNOME
- GarminDev - Drivers for communication with Garmin GPS devices
- garmintools - Communication tools for Garmin devices
- GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
- geoclue - a modular geoinformation service
- GEOS - Geometry Engine - Open Source
- GMT - Generic Mapping Tools
- gpsbabel - A tool to convert between various formats used by GPS devices
- gpscorrelate - A GPS photo correlation / geotagging tool
- gpsd - Service daemon for mediating access to a GPS
- gpsdrive - A GPS based navigation tool
- gpsman - a graphical manager of GPS data that makes possible the preparation, inspection and edition of GPS data in a friendly environment.
- gpx-viewer - GPX Viewer is a simple program to visualize a gpx file.
- grads - Interactive desktop tool to easy access, manipulate and visualize earth science data
- GRASS - Geographic Resources Analysis Support System
- gypsy - A GPS multiplexing daemon
- libgarmin - C library to parse and use Garmin image files
- libgeotiff - GeoTIFF format library; License problems with EPSG table
- libspatialite - A complete Spatial DBMS in a nutshell
- MapBender - Geospatial portal for OGC OWS architectures
- mapnik - Above all Mapnik is about making beautiful maps
- MapServer - Development environment for building spatially-enabled internet applications
- Merkaartor - Qt-Based OpenStreetMap editor
- MTKBabel - a Perl program to operate the i-Blue 747 GPS data logger.
- OGDI - Open Geographic Datastore Interface
- osm-gps-map - Gtk+ widget for displaying OpenStreetMap tiles
- OpenSceneGraph - High performance 3D graphics toolkit
- perl-GPS-OID - Package for PRN - Object ID conversions
- pgRouting - Provides routing functionality to PostGIS/PostgreSQL
- PostGIS - PostGIS adds support for geographic objects in PostgreSQL
- PROJ.4 - Cartographic Projections Library
- python-networkx -- Creation, manipulation, and study of the structure, dynamics, and functions of complex networks
- python-osmgpsmap - Python bindings for osm-gps-map GTK+ widget
- python-tilecache - A web map tile caching system
- QGIS - Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
- QLandkarteGT - GPS device mapping tool
- qtgpsc - A client for the gpsd GPS server
- routino - Find the route between two points using the dataset of topographical information collected by Openstreetmap or data in that format (KDE-Marble can make use of it.)
- Shapely Geometric objects, predicates, and operations
- spatialindex - Spatial index library
- SpatiaLite Tools - A set of useful CLI tools for SpatiaLite
- tangoGPS - a lightweight and fast mapping application
- tinyows - WFS-T and FE implementation server (volter started packaging the currenct version; the package is orphaned)
- vifir - A viewer for electronic aviation charts
- viking - GTK2-based GPS data editor and viewer
- JOSM - editor for OpenStreetMap
New packages pushed to stable
New packages to test
- e00compr - ANSI-C library to compress and uncompress Arc/Info Export (E00) files
Packages for review
- SAGA - GIS with API for processing geodata
(Missing dependencies found)
- gdal-grass - Standalone GRASS 6 Drivers for GDAL and OGR (Originally viji, see volter's: repo for the current version)
- libgaiagraphics - Graphics canvas for GIS rendering (pre-requisite for the SpatiaLite-GUI)
- libLAS - Library and tools for the LAS LiDAR format
mkgmap - Convert OpenStreetMap data for Garmin GPSes
- Navit - Car navigation system with routing engine (viji is working on it).
- obdgpslogger - OBDII and GPS data logger for your car
ossim - High performance software system for remote sensing, image processing , geographical information systems and photogrammetry. (viji is working on it) osm2go - osm2go is an editor for openstreetmap.org map data.
- osm2pgsql - osm2pgsql imports map data from OpenStreetMap to a PostgresSQL database
Wishlist and interesting apps
- AtlasStyler - the Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD) / Symbology Encoding (SE) tool for OGC-compatible styling of geodata.
- epigrass - Epigrass is a open-source simulation platform created to study epidemics and their spatial (geographic) dynamics
- FoxtrotGPS - A mapping and GPS application like tangoGPS (started with packaging FabianAffolter)
- Gosmore - Routing and viewer of OSM XML data such as the whole planet.osm or other osm files from Geofabrik or Cloudmade. (KDE-Marble can make use of it.) License problem with icons; kkofler informed upstream.
- gmapcatcher - An offline map viewer
- GPStk - Open source library and suite of applications (paused with packaging FabianAffolter; volter got involved)
- libnav - LibNav is an algorithm library for navigation and positioning. (started with packaging FabianAffolter, I thinks that libnav depends on gpstk)
- librasterlite - Handle huge Raster Data Sources within the DBMS;
Currently reviewinglibepsilon, which is a dependency. Stalled nevertheless: librasterlite 1.0 doesn't build with our version of libspatialite.
- MapGuide - web-based platform for developing and deployment web mapping applications and geospatial web services.
- MB System - Processing and display of bathymetry and backscatter imagery data derived from multibeam, interferometry, and sidescan sonars (volter: Started packaging, see repo; see below for missing dependencies)
- mod_geocache - Apache module for caching map tiles (volter: Started packaging, see repo.)
- mumpot - A gtk mapping application (volter: On review soon, see repo.)
- OpenEV - Software library and application for viewing and analysing raster and vector geospatial data (volter: Started packaging, see repo.)
- OpenGTS -- Open GPS Tracking system is a full featured web-based GPS tracking system for your fleet of vehicles.
- OpenModeller - Fundamental niche modelling library; There is also a desktop application. The desktop application is tightly bound to QGIS. Therefore, I'll wait for the next QGIS release. (volter: Started packaging both, see repo.)
- Opticks - Opticks is an expandable remote sensing and imagery analysis software platform. (volter: Packaging is on halt. As long as Opticks needs it's own modified version of OSSIM, it can't ship. I'll check back in a few months.)
- Orfeo Toolbox - Library of image processing algorithms; There is also an accompanying software called Monteverdi. A QGIS plugin also exists somewhere. (volter: Loads of bundled libraries; some detection scripts don't work right; could make use of liblas; volter: Started packaging, see repo.)
- osgEarth - Terrain rendering toolkit for OpenSceneGraph (volter started packaging; QGIS will make use of it in future versions)
- ParaView - Data analysis and visualization application; was developed to analyze extremely large datasets using distributed memory computing resources.
- pdal - Library for translating and manipulating point cloud data of various formats (no release yet)
- python-OWSLib - Work with OGC map, feature, and coverage services (volter: Started packaging, see repo.)
- Pysal - Python Library for Spatial Analytical Functions
- Pyspatialite - Python dbapi2 compliant driver for SQLite + Spatialite
- pbf2osm - Convert between old and new OSM format
- pbftoosm - Convert between old and new OSM format
- pyproj - Pyrex generated python interface to PROJ.4 library -- Performs cartographic transformations and geodetic computations
- PyWPS - (Python Web Processing Service) is an implementation of the Web processing Service standard from Open Geospatial Consortium. (volter: Started packaging, see repo.)
- Rasdaman - Raster data manager - Allows to retrieve and maintain multi-dimensional arrays of unlimited size stored in standard relational databases through an SQL-style query language.
- Spatialite GUI - (volter started packaging -- Will only work with F15 and up)
- Thuban - Interactive Geographic Data Viewer. (Last commit is from late 2009. Should we really package it?)
- Tilemill - Modern map design studio; Style maps with CSS-like syntax and export to tiles
- MyTourbook - It is free software to visualize and analyze tours which are recorded by a GPS device, bike- or exercise computer and ergometer
- uDig - Desktop application framework, built with Eclipse Rich Client (RCP) technology
- BeeGIS - opensource tool for Digital Field Mapping. Seems that they didn't try to build it for Linux (although its based upon JGrass/uDig/Eclipse).
- Deegree - Java package with OGC services, desktop application and tools for processing and management.
- Geopublisher - a software that allows you to create digital multimedia atlases. The atlases can be automatically published on a media (CD, DVD, USB-stick), as well as on the Internet.
- GeoNetwork - GeoNetwork is a catalog application to manage spatially referenced resources (Java)
- GeoServer - like MapServer but written in Java
- GeoTools - The Open Source Java GIS Toolkit
- HidroSIG - a GIS with special tools that will allow you to make estimations and analysis of hydrological, climatic and geomorphological variables
- JGrass - open source GIS based on the GIS framework of uDig (that is why the intro looks so similar to that of uDig). JGrass tries to exploit in its engine the power of GRASS.
- MapAnalyst - Accuracy analysis of old maps
- NEST 4B - ESA Toolbox to view and analyze SAR data
- OSGRS - Open Source GNSS Reference Server (OSGRS) is a HTTP server that provides data for Assisted-GNSS applications (Only release in 2007)
- Prune - Prune is an application for viewing, editing and converting coordinate data from GPS systems. Basically it's a tool to let you play with your GPS data after you get home from your trip.
- qgis webclient
- ExtJS -- Stalled review
- grass 6.4
- mesa-libGLw-devel (don't know if you really need it)
- gdal 1.8
- libspatialite (ppc build issue)
- qgis (1.8 or so)
- OpenSceneGraph (dependency for osgearth)
- EPSG - OGP Surveying and Positioning Committee Geodetic Parameter Dataset
- Generate and distribute GPS position fixes from attached GPS devices
List of people who share their interest on this topic:
- Hans Ulrich Niedermann (ndim)
- Subhodip Biswas
- Juha Tuomala
- Fabian Affolter
- Peter Lemenkov
- Sven Lankes
- Viji V Nair
- Anne Ghisla
- Volker Fröhlich (volter)
- Mathieu Baudier (mbaudier)
- Kalyan Janakiraman (kalyankj)
- Balint Cristian (rezso)
- Peter Hopfgartner (phopfgartner)