LXDE In Fedora
LXDE ((Lightweight X Desktop Environment) is a new project aimed to provide a new desktop environment which is lightweight and fast. It's not designed to be powerful and bloated, but to be usable and slim enough, and keep the resource usage low. It consists of
- PCManFM: File manager, provides desktop icons
- LXPanel: Feature-rich desktop panel
- LXSession: Standard-compliant X11 session manager with shutdown/reboot/suspend support via HAL
- LXSession-edit: GUI to configure what’s automatically started in LXDE
- LXInput: Keyboard and mouse settings dialog
- LXRandR: Configuration tool for monitors and external projectors
- LXAppearance: Feature-rich GTK+ theme switcher able to change GTK+ themes, icon themes, and fonts
- LXTask: Lightweight task manager derived from xfce4 task manager
- LXTerminal: Desktop-independent VTE-based terminal emulator
- LXLauncher: Open source replacement for the Asus Launcher on the EeePC
- LXShortcut: Small utility to edit application shortcuts, used by lxpanel and lxlauncher
- LXNM (still under development): Lightweight network manager for LXDE supporting wireless connections (not yet in Fedora)
- LXDM: Lightweight Display manager
- Openbox: Lightweight, standard-compliant, and highly-configurable window manager.
- GPicView: A very simple, fast, and lightweight image viewer featuring immediate startup
- Leafpad: Lightweight and simple text editor
- XArchiver: Lightweight, fast, and desktop-independent gtk+-based file archiver
LXDE uses a modular approach: Each component of LXDE can be used independently, so you don't need to install the whole Desktop, if you don't like it.
LXDE is not available in the traditional Fedora DVD image unlike GNOME and KDE. However it is available in the repository and via the Fedora LXDE Spin. You can also install LXDE packages after installation using yum or the package manager of your choice.
Fedora LXDE Spin
Download the installable Live CD from
To install LXDE in Fedora using yum, execute the following as root:
- Open a terminal (shell).
- Install the LXDE group:
su -c 'yum install @lxde-desktop'
- Go to System > Administration > Add/Remove Software.
- In the left side pane choose LXDE desktop.
- Click Apply to install the package set.
LXDM, GDM or KDM
For LXDM, GDM and KDM no manual configuration is needed, just select LXDE from the available sessions listed by the display manager. If you don't see LXDE, restart your display manager, or reboot.
In Fedora, slim may be called through a wrapper, slim-dynwm, which determines the available window managers using the freedesktop information and modifies the slim configuration file accordingly, before launching slim. To use SLiM with Fedora, put the following in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop configuration:
To reboot or halt, login in as special username "reboot" or "halt" - using the root password. To get a console prompt use username "console", and to switch sessions use F1, screenshot F11.
Make LXDE the default Desktop
To use LXDE as the default desktop for new users, add the following in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop configuration:
Fedora's LXDE Special Interest Group
The LXDE SIG (Special Interest Group) is a group of Fedora contributors that help improve the LXDE experience in Fedora