This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 17 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Lovelock → Verne → <new name>? Verne is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Lovelock and Verne was "both are names of futurologists". The link between Verne and the new Fedora 17 release name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: 13 September through 20 September
- List to Fedora Board: 20 September through 23 September
- Legal Review of Board approved names: 24 September through 30 September
- Community vote on final name: 30 September through 06 October
- Name announced: 07 October
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Verne is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Lovelock to Verne, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|Erwin||son of a famous scientist||Max Planck and Emmett Brown being the fathers of Erwin Planck and Verne Brown||Atoms and stuff given Erwin Schrödinger too|
|Rocky Ripple||town in Indiana||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verne,_Indiana http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Ripple,_Indiana||Infinitely themeable!|
|Rutan||Name of an aircraft designer and pilot of the first aircraft to go around the world (Dick Rutan )||Verne wrote "Around the world in 80 days" so there is a connection||Aircraft, blue sky etc|
|Hugo||Verne was a client of Pierre-Jules Hetzel, so was Victor Hugo||Hugo's visual art would provide ample inspirational material http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Victor_Hugo-Setting_Sun.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Victor_Hugo1300.JPG|
|Shakespeare||Verne was a playwright, so was Shakespeare||Lots of non-copyright stuff available|
|Ramon||Verne is a name of a crater (on the moon) and Ramon is a name of a crater (on Earth)||Desert landscape|
|Morgan||He was one of the most notorious and successful privateers of all time, and one of the most ruthless who worked in the Spanish Main.||privateers of all time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan|
|Alcatraz||Both Verne and Alcatraz are/were island prisons||There is a computer game and a Software company||prisons, islands, ... rocks?|
|Fenimore||Verne Gagne was a 1947 NFL Draft pick and so was Bob Fenimore|
|Balboa||Verne is a explorer, conquistador and so is Vasco Nuñez de Balboa||was a Spanish explorer, governor, and conquistador. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasco_N%C3%BA%C3%B1ez_de_Balboa|
|Lundmark||Eroded crater on the far side of the Moon and located to the northwest is the flooded Jules Verne.||Images of Sweeden, more space/astronomy ideas, clusters, nebulae, galaxies, light distribution (prisms, etc.)|
|Koch||Crater on the far side of the Moon, to the south-southeast of the walled plain Jules Verne.||Images of Germany, science/medical equipment, microscopes, bacteria/microrganisms.|
|Pavlov||Large lunar crater on the far side of the Moon and located just to the southeast of it is the crater Jules Verne.||Images of Russia, dogs, bells, whistles, metronomes, tuning forks.|
|Delaney||Verne is a first name of Old French origins which means "from alder grove", as Delaney is. ||A forest of trees in the birch family.|
|Coral||Captain Nemo is a fictional character featured in Jules Verne's novels Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870) and The Mysterious Island (1874). Nemo is also a character producted by Pixar and so is Colar||Tens of conflicts, see Google 1 and Google 2|
|Percheron||Percheron is a large draft horse breed from France known for intelligence and willingness to work, used as war horses, pulling stage coaches and other heavy labor.||Verne and the Percheron are both from France. The Percheron represents strength and stamina.||Aspects of its heritage, such as
>Warhorse: battle, military, middle ages & parades
>Stagecoach: travel, terrain, travelers & towns
>Farm Labor: earthy & labor
>Composition such as the dark color, strength & size.
|Never||Never is a town in Russia and a crater on Mars.||Never is an anagram of Verne. Both are craters (Verne is a lunar crater).|
|Piccard||Auguste Piccard was a Swiss physicist, inventor and explorer and invented a deep boat called Bathyscaphe - btw this would be a great name as well - which reached a record maximum depth of about 11,000 meters.||He made height records in ballooning as well. Interesting family history as well: His grandson Betrand will try to orbit the earth with a solar plane in one or two years||deep boat, ballooning, ...|
|Shitton Falls||Unincorporated municipality in the state of Indiana||Although, I personally think it is pronounced "She-ten Falls"||Stuff involving waterfalls, or stuff involving chocolate (maybe hire some of the artists from Ubuntu's "Human" era to help us!)|
|Drake||Larry Verne was a novelty singer who performed a hit song named "Mr. Custer", and so was Charlie Drake (well, it was a cover, but you get the picture).||Potential, but it is a common term for a dragon (or duck)||Not to be confused with those which are dapper.||Oh, many: fire, dragon scale patterns, elements evoking or representing a dragon, etc.|
|Apollo||is crater on the moon||Verne and apollo are both names of moon craters||Apollo was also the name of a nasa program including the apollo eleven mission|
|Farragut||Verne is a storyteller about a Commander Farragut (in Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea) as was David Glasgow Farragut a real life naval commander, officer and admiral)|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|