This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 18 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Verne → Beefy Miracle → <new name>? Beefy Miracle is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Verne and Beefy Miracle was "both names were suggested as the name of Fedora 16." The link between Beefy Miracle and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: 20 March through 27 March (23:59:59 UTC)
- List to Fedora Board: 27 March through 30 March
- Legal Review of Board approved names: 30 March through 05 April
- Setup of Voting Application: 05 April
- Community vote on final name: 06 April through 12 April (23:59:59 UTC)
- Name announced: 13 April
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Beefy Miracle is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Verne to Beefy Miracle, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|Tandoori Chicken||Beefy Miracle goes great with a drink and so does Tandoori Chicken||Tested|
|Dachshund||Beefy miracle is a name for a hot dog and so is Dachshund||Untested||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog#History|
|Juicy Bacon||Beefy miracle is a hilarious name and everyone likes to eat some - same for Juicy Bacon||Untested|
|Gama||Beefy Miracle suggests brawn, muscular, robust and powerful and so was Pahelwan Gama||Untested|
|Ultra Vegan||Beefy Miracle is related to food, so is Ultra Vegan||Untested||http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/video-the-simpsons-go-to-whole-foods-wellness-foods.html|
|Pamukkale||Beefy Miracle is miracle so is Pamukkale||Tested||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamukkale|
|Frozen Wave||Beefy Miracle is miracle so is Frozen Wave||Tested||http://www.artinnaturephotography.com/photo.php?id=182|
|Magic Dragon||Beefy Miracle is miracle so is Magic Dragon||untested||yes|
|Wonderful Coffee||wonderful is one possible translation of miraculous, both BEEF and C0FFEE can be written in hex||untested|
|Mudra||Beefy Miracle is tranquility so is Mudra||tested||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra|
|Tusker Whammy||Beefy Miracle is a Miracle so is Tusker Whammy.Tusker Whammy would be super-set of Beefy Miracle.Beefy(Muscular) ⊂ Tusker and Miracle ⊂ Whammy||tested|
|Cutting Edge||Beefy Miracle needs to be cut, so does the Cutting Edge.||untested|
|Mutton Biryani||Beefy Miracle is full of meat and awesome, so is Mutton Biryani||tested|
|Ketchy Ketchup||Ketchup fits to so much food.||untested||But this is so Ubuntu too.|
|Deep Fried Tofu||Tofu is a great alternative to meat. Whether deep fried tofu's tasty is a completely different matter however ;)||untested|
|Dingo||Beefy miracle is a hot dog and so is a Dingo.||untested||Well it certainly doesn't look cold in that desert. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/Dingo_walking.jpg|
|Joey Joe Joe Jr. Shabadoo||Beefy Miracle is "the worst name I ever heard" and so is "Joey Joe Joe Jr. Shabadoo"||Untested||Reference to a very old Simpsons (TM) episode
"Hey Joey Joe Joe!"
|Amaldi||Amaldi is a name suggested for Fedora 17. Beefy Miracle is also a name suggested for Fedora 17||No software, computer, or IT matches in Google; almost a google wack.||Edoardo Amaldi was an Italian Physicist known for his work on gravity waves.|||
|McFly||McFly is a name suggested for Fedora 17. Beefy Miracle is also a name suggested for Fedora 17||minor software matches||Verne is one of Doc Brown's sons in BTTF3||DeLorean, Doc Brown's locomotive time machine, etc.|
|Bonaparte||Bonaparte is a name suggested for Fedora 17. Beefy Miracle is also a name suggested for Fedora 17||minor software matches, , ||Strictly speaking, Napoleon was Corsican|
|Grimm||Grimm is a name suggested for Fedora 17. Beefy Miracle is also a name suggested for Fedora 17||minor software matches, , || Jules Verne is #2, Jacob Grimm is #10.||A Grimm in Harry Potter lore is a large black dog and Grimm's Fairy Tales ought to be a rich source of themes|
|Atmosphere||Atmosphere is a name suggested for Fedora 17. Beefy Miracle is also a name suggested for Fedora 17||several hits including Adobe's discontinued product. :-(||Jules Verne Restaurant is in the Eiffel Tower, Atmosphere is in the Burj Khalifa, a.k.a. Burj Dubai, on the 124th floor.|
|VonBraun||VonBraun is a name suggested for Fedora 17. Beefy Miracle is also a name suggested for Fedora 17||No collisions|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|