This is to help document the process to get SAGE (http://sagemath.org/), the open-source computer algebra/mathematics framework into Fedora.
People interested helping in packaging/reviewing:
- Debian: http://wiki.sagemath.org/DebianSAGE
- PcLinuxOS: http://www.mypclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=1509.msg13532#msg13532
On fedora-devel KevinKofler points out that:
One problem will be that they're bundling many third-party components which should be packaged separately:
So the first step is to track down which of these dependencies are in Fedora already, whether they need any patches to work with SAGE, whether they are build-time (BuildRequires) dependencies, run-time (Requires) dependencies or both, whether they're required or optional and package those which are not in Fedora yet.
He suggests the following order:
- package required build-time dependencies
- package required run-time dependencies
- package as many optional build-time dependencies as possible
- package SAGE itself
- package optional run-time dependencies (and decide on a case by case basis whether it makes sense to add them as actual Requires: dependencies to the package or not)