(Begin row in results table, add smolt profile)
|Line 153:||Line 153:|
Revision as of 16:37, 17 February 2011
|Fedora Xfce 4.8|
|Fedora Xfce 4.8|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on the Xfce 4.8 desktop in Fedora.
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ... The following cast of characters will be available for testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Adam Miller (maxamillion), Kevin Fenzi (nirik), Christoph Wickert (cwickert)
- Quality Assurance - Adam Williamson (adamw)
Prerequisite for Test Day
- An updated Fedora 15 pre-release, Rawhide (tips on installing Rawhide below), or a nightly live image
- Your hardware profile uploaded to Smolt according to these instructions
- Xfce installed (yum install @XFCE)
- For the Fedora 14 to 15 upgrade test case, Fedora 14 with Xfce installed and updated to latest Fedora 14 update status
Update your machine
See the instructions on the Branched page on the various ways in which you can install or update to the Branched Release.
Optionally, you may download a non-destructive branched live image for your architecture:
Both architectures are located here. Checksums are also available at that link.
Tips on using a live image are available at FedoraLiveCD.
The following bullet points could use the most care, please see below for testing.
Things that are potentially changing from F14 -> F15
- The Xfce SIG has chosen to drop totem and totem-mozplugin in favor of parole and parole-mozplugin
- Midori is a web browser endorsed by upstream Xfce as the official browser of their Desktop Environment, we as the Xfce SIG would like to keep this browser showcased but we will continue to ship Mozilla Firefox as the default as there are still some concerns about functionality. Please use Midori to browse to popular sites and login to test in order to help the efforts to provide feedback upstream, suggestions: Fedora Community, Gmail, Google Docs, Facebook, MySpace, etc.
- remmina vnc client and panel plugin has been added, please test this functionality and report all issues.
- gnome-screensaver will be replaced by xscreensaver as gnome-screensaver will no longer detect idle without gnome-session running
Beyond this, please just install Xfce on Branched - yum install @XFCE - and check that everything within Xfce you expect to work, does work. In particular, check that all the configuration applets work correctly. As it's fairly obvious how to test these, we decided not to include specific test cases for each applet; just run each one, and check that changing the settings has the intended effect. If you find any problems, please say so in the IRC chat session.
Notes from testing / Non-Bugzilla issues
All open bugs in XFCE4 bugzilla
Howto test results
- confirm gdm offers Xfce4 as a session type
- confirm you can select this session and login
- confirm settings changes can be made and saved, and are found after a logout/login cycle.
- confirm day to day desktop functions are working.
- confirm all settings dialogs come up and work.
- confirm xfce4-mixer starts and can manage any sound card(s).
- confirm parole is a comparable replacement for totem
- confirm midori is stable and feature rich enough to be a drop in replacement for other browsers.
- confirm xscreensaver functions as expected (locks after idle, displays screensaver animation, etc.)
Provide a list of test areas or test cases that you'd like contributors to execute. For other examples, see Category:Test_Cases.
Construct a table or list to allow testers to post results. Each column should be a test case or configuration, and each row should consist of test results. Include some instructions on how to report bugs, and any special instructions. Here's an example, from a Palimpsest test day:
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to Bugzilla usually for the component udisks, or gnome-disk-utility for bugs in the Palimpsest graphical front end itself. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you. Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line.
General test cases
|User||Smolt Profile||F14 - F15 Upgrade||Login||Keyring||Menus||Updates||Panel (basic)||Panel (advanced)||Basic Audio||Browser||References|
Xfce specific test cases
|User||Smolt Profile||Appearance settings||Desktop settings||Display setting||File manager settings||Input method settings||References|
|Alexei Panov||HW |