|Fedora Test Days|
What to test?
Today's instalment of Fedora Test Day will focus on Printing.
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
Prerequisite for Test Day
- Access to a printer
- Fedora 16 Alpha (or newer; live image is fine)
How to test?
A variety of printing tasks should be attempted, including:
- Configuring a printer not yet known to the system
- Printing a test page
- Printing something more complicated, e.g. OpenOffice document, PDF, email
- Taking advantage of extra print features of your printer e.g. duplexing, stapling
- Inducing errors such as out-of-paper, printer off-line, and noting behavior
Update your machine
If you're running Fedora 16 Alpha, make sure you have all the current updates for it installed, using the update manager. Or:
- Connecting a local printer: Expected behavior is that when a new local printer is connected, drivers will be installed as needed, a queue will be created for it, and the user will see a notification message about it.
- Reconnecting a local printer
- Printing to a network printer
- Printing copies/pages/duplexing from the print dialog
- Status feedback
- gnome-settings-daemon for problems relating to job reporting and printer status feedback in GNOME Shell
- control-center for problems specific to printer administration in GNOME Shell e.g. the system settings module
- cups for printing problems that persist even when using command line utilities such as lp
- gtk2 for printing problems common to all GTK+ applications using the GTK+ print dialog
- system-config-printer for bugs in the printing configuration program used in GNOME fallback mode and in other graphical environments
If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you. Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one, and the second should be a link to the Smolt profile of the system you tested. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line.
|User||Printer||Connect local||Reconnect local||Network printing||Copies/pages/duplex||Status feedback||References|
|Sample User||HP LaserJet 5|
|Horst H. von Brand||HP LaserJet m1522nf MFP|
|Tim Waugh||Epson Stylus D78||n/a|
|Tim Flink||HP LaserJet M1536dnf MFP|
- RHBZ #743882