HP Envy x360 15-cp0010ca
Inspiration can strike anytime, anywhere, and with the ENVY x360 you’re ready to take your ideas to the next level. Get ready to naturally create from any angle with a touchscreen and full-size keyboard, while enjoying rock-solid security and an incredible audio and video experience. Say goodbye to creative block and hello to an unparalleled creative process.
Taken from HP website about HP Envy x360 15-cp0010ca Overview
- Manufacturer HP
- Processor AMD® APU Ryzen 2500U Processor (2 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz burst frequency, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Chipset AMD CZ FCH
- Memory 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz SDRAM --> *Upgraded to 16 DDR 2400 MHz SDRAM
- Display 15.6" 16:9 Full HD (1920x1080) touchscreen with stylus support
- Graphic AMD Radeon® Vega8 with 1GB DDR4 VRAM Built-in Ryzen 2500U
- Storage 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 1TB 7200 RPM --> *Upgraded to Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD 1TB
- Card Reader 2 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ MMC)
- Camera HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- Networking Integrated 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
- Interface 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge), 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 headphone/microphone combo
- Audio Built-in Speakers And Microphone, Bang & Olufsen
Linux compatibility as tested on updated Fedora 29
|Processor||Yes||Works out of box. Detected as AMD® Ryzen 5 2500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8 (optimization requires xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu)|
|Display||Yes||Tested on both Gnome Session and Gnome on Wayland|
|Storage||Yes||Works out of box|
|Graphic||Yes||Detected as AMD® Raven|
|HDMI port||Yes||Works out box (tested on an external HD TV monitor)|
|Display port||Yes||Works out box|
|Sound||Yes||Works out of box|
|Microphone||Yes||Works out of box|
|Headphone+Microphone combo||Yes||Works out of box|
|Wireless||Yes||Works out of box|
|USB||Yes||Works out of box|
|Card Reader||Yes||Works out box|
|Webcam||Yes *||Gnome Cheese handles both regular and infrared camera. Need testing for Howdy not currently packaged|
|Keyboard||Yes||Works out of box including the support of back-light.|
|Touchpad||Yes||Works out of box using macOS method. Tunable to Windows style via Gnome Tweak.|
|Touchscreen + Stylus||Yes||Patched on Fedora kernel 4.19.3 and data for stylus provided to upstream|
|Suspend/Resume||Yes||Works out box.|
- Memory is upgradable up to 32 GB RAM.
- Noticeable gain of performance after upgrading both storage and memory to SSD 1TB and 16 GB RAM.
Fedora supports secure boot enabled by default in the laptop so the process is streamlined. Dual boot with the pre-installed Windows 10 is simple by preserving the /boot/efi partition which includes the HP System Settings to access UEFI.
Touchscreen & Stylus
Fedora kernel 4.19.3 fixed an issue preventing the touchscreen to properly function. The bundled stylus ELAN 264c currently requires a missing data file located at
/usr/share/libwacom to access to Gnome Wacom Tablet settings.
This model has an AMD Fusion Sensor Hub currently unsupported on Linux kernel due to missing driver.
It is listed as
03:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Sensor Fusion Hub [1022:15e4]
lspci -nn output.
AMD currently has yet to address the issue.
This model comes with a 7200 RPM 1 TB hard disk drive upgradeable to a solid state drive (in this case a Samsung 860 1 TB version). It also includes an extra slot for a non-volatile memory express (NVME) drive.
Due to the firmware bug from HP, majority of HP laptops are affected by unresolved impacting some functionality of ACPI. For example, the F5/Mute button led failed to lighten and a noticeable delay of updated battery status when plugging or unplugging the device. See Linux kernel bug report related to ACPI on HP laptops
- All test is done on an Design Suite 30 Beta based on Fedora Workstation with nearly out-of-box experience.
- A recent fix is applied for bug related to ACPI preventing touchscreen and stylus to properly run.
- The battery usage is about 6 hours depending of the usage. Optimization such as powertop is needed to fully maximize power saving.
- Microsoft Windows 10 has webcam handling facial authentication via Windows Hello application. The equivalent howdy is available on via COPR repository and needs more refinements.