HP Envy x360 15-cp0010ca
Inspiration can strike anytime, anywhere, and with the ENVY x360 you’re ready to take your ideas to the next level. Get ready to naturally create from any angle with a touchscreen and full-size keyboard, while enjoying rock-solid security and an incredible audio and video experience. Say goodbye to creative block and hello to an unparalleled creative process.
Taken from HP website about HP Envy x360 15-cp0010ca Overview
- Manufacturer HP
- Processor AMD® APU Ryzen 2500U Processor (2 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz burst frequency, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Chipset AMD CZ FCH
- Memory 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz SDRAM --> *Upgraded to 16 DDR 2400 MHz SDRAM
- Display 15.6" 16:9 Full HD (1920x1080) touchscreen with stylus support
- Graphic AMD Radeon® Vega8 with 1GB DDR4 VRAM Built-in Ryzen 2500U
- Storage 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 1TB 7200 RPM --> *Upgraded to Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD 1TB
- Card Reader 2 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ MMC)
- Camera HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- Networking Integrated 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
- Interface 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge), 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 headphone/microphone combo
- Audio Built-in Speakers And Microphone, Bang & Olufsen
Linux compatibility as tested on Fedora 30
|Processor||Yes||Works out of box. Detected as AMD® Ryzen 5 2500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8 (optimization requires xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu)|
|Display||Yes||Tested on both Gnome Session and Gnome on Wayland|
|Storage||Yes||Works out of box|
|Graphic||Yes||Detected as AMD® Raven|
|HDMI port||Yes||Works out box (tested on an external HD TV monitor)|
|Display port||Yes||Works out box|
|Sound||Yes||Works out of box|
|Microphone||Yes||Works out of box|
|Headphone+Microphone combo||Yes||Works out of box|
|Wireless||Yes||Works out of box|
|USB||Yes||Works out of box|
|Card Reader||Yes||Works out box|
|Webcam||Yes *||Gnome Cheese handles both regular and infrared camera. Need testing for Howdy not currently packaged|
|Keyboard||Yes||Works out of box including the support of back-light.|
|Touchpad||Yes||Works out of box using macOS method. Tunable to Windows style via Gnome Tweak.|
|Touchscreen + Stylus||Yes||Patched on Fedora kernel 4.19.3 and data for stylus provided to upstream|
|Suspend/Resume||Yes||Works out box.|
- Memory is upgradable up to 32 GB RAM.
- Noticeable gain of performance after upgrading both storage and memory to SSD 1TB and 16 GB RAM.
Linux Hardware report
[Probe result of HP ENVY x360 15-cp0xxx](https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?computer=92ad36eabaa5)
Fedora supports secure boot enabled by default in the laptop so the process is streamlined. Dual boot with the pre-installed Windows 10 is simple by preserving the /boot/efi partition which includes the HP System Settings to access UEFI.
Touchscreen & Stylus
Fedora kernel 4.19.3 fixed an issue preventing the touchscreen to properly function. The bundled stylus ELAN 264c currently requires a missing data file located at
/usr/share/libwacom to access to Gnome Wacom Tablet settings.
This model has an AMD Fusion Sensor Hub currently unsupported on Linux kernel due to missing driver.
It is listed as
03:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Sensor Fusion Hub [1022:15e4]
lspci -nn output.
AMD currently has yet to address the issue.
This model comes with a 7200 RPM 1 TB hard disk drive upgradeable to a solid state drive (in this case a Samsung 860 1 TB version). It also includes an extra slot for a non-volatile memory express (NVME) drive.
Due to the firmware bug from HP, majority of HP laptops are affected by unresolved impacting some functionality of ACPI. For example, the F5/Mute button led failed to lighten and a noticeable delay of updated battery status when plugging or unplugging the device. See Linux kernel bug report related to ACPI on HP laptops
- All test is done on an Design Suite 30 Beta based on Fedora Workstation with nearly out-of-box experience.
- A recent fix is applied for bug related to ACPI preventing touchscreen and stylus to properly run.
- The battery usage is about 6 hours depending of the usage. Optimization such as powertop is needed to fully maximize power saving.
- Microsoft Windows 10 has webcam handling facial authentication via Windows Hello application. The equivalent howdy is available on via COPR repository and needs more refinements.