HP Envy x360 15-cp0008ca
Inspiration can strike anytime, anywhere, and with the ENVY x360 you’re ready to take your ideas to the next level. Get ready to naturally create from any angle with a touchscreen and full-size keyboard, while enjoying rock-solid security and an incredible audio and video experience. Say goodbye to creative block and hello to an unparalleled creative process.
Taken from HP website about HP Envy x360 15-cp0008ca Overview
- Manufacturer HP
- Processor AMD® APU Ryzen 2500U Processor (2 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz burst frequency, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
- Chipset AMD CZ FCH
- Memory 16 DDR 2400 MHz SDRAM*
- Display 15.6" 16:9 Full HD (1920x1080) touchscreen with stylus support
- Graphic AMD Radeon® Vega8 with 1GB DDR4 VRAM Built-in Ryzen 2500U
- Storage Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD 1TB
- Card Reader 2 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ MMC)
- Camera HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- Networking Integrated 802.11b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 combo
- Interface 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge), 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge), 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 headphone/microphone combo
- Audio Built-in Speakers And Microphone, Bang & Olufsen
Linux compatibility as tested on Fedora 32
|Processor||Yes||Works out of box. Detected as AMD® Ryzen 5 2500u with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8|
|Display||Yes||Tested on both Gnome Session and Gnome on Wayland|
|Storage||Yes||Works out of box|
|Graphic||Yes||Detected as AMD® Raven|
|HDMI port||Yes||Works out box (tested on an external HD TV monitor)|
|Display port||Yes||Works out box|
|Sound||Yes||Works out of box|
|Microphone||Yes||Works out of box|
|Headphone+Microphone combo||Yes||Works out of box|
|Wireless||Yes||Works out of box|
|USB||Yes||Works out of box|
|Card Reader||Yes||Works out box|
|Webcam||Yes *||Gnome Cheese handles both regular and infrared camera. Need testing for Howdy not currently packaged|
|Keyboard||Yes||Works out of box including the support of back-light. LED mute button works as intended since Linux Kernel 5.3. Upstream kernel bug report. Multimedia key input works although disabled on Gnome Settings.|
|Touchpad||Yes||Works out of box using macOS method adjustable to Windows style via Gnome Tweak.|
|Touchscreen + Stylus||Yes||Work out of box|
|Suspend/Resume||Yes||Works out box.|
==== Notes ====
- Memory is upgradable up to 32 GB RAM.
- '*' means customized
Linux Hardware report
Fedora supports secure boot enabled by default in the laptop so the process is streamlined. Dual boot with the pre-installed Windows 10 is simple by preserving the /boot/efi partition which includes the HP System Settings to access UEFI.
Touchscreen & Stylus
As tested on Fedora 31, both touch screen and stylus input works out box. A bug related to the toolkit (GTK3) running on Wayland session cause the stylus crashing some applications like Mozilla Firefox within reaching distance. An recent update from December 2019 fixed that issue.
This model has an AMD Fusion Sensor Hub listed as
03:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device : Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Sensor Fusion Hub [1022:15e4]
lspci -nn output.
AMD landed a new amd-sfh-hid driver for review which may be available either on Linux 5.5 or 5.6.
This model comes with a 7200 RPM 1 TB hard disk drive upgradeable to a solid state drive (in this case a Samsung 860 1 TB version). It also includes an extra slot for a non-volatile memory express (NVME) drive.
Due to the firmware bug, majority of HP laptops are affected by an unresolved issue impacting some functionality of ACPI. For example, a noticeable delay of updated battery status when plugging or unplugging the device. A Linux kernel bug report related to ACPI on HP laptops was recently addressed with the recent updated kernel 5.4.1.
- All test is done on an Design Suite 32 based on Fedora Workstation with nearly out-of-box experience.
- The battery usage is about 6 hours depending of the usage. Optimization such as *tuned* is needed to fully maximize power saving.
- Microsoft Windows 10 has webcam handling facial authentication via Windows Hello application. The equivalent howdy is available on via COPR repository and needs more refinements.
- At this time of writing, handwriting recognition like CellWriter is in sad state without maintenance and activity. The challenge is to get an active maintainer porting into GTK3 or Python3.