|IRC:||Prometheas on Libera.chat in|
|#fedora-el #fedora-ambassadors #ubuntucy #ubuntu-gr #ellak|
Hello! My name is Marios Isaakidis. I was born and spent my first years in Thessaloniki, a warm and relaxed city in northern Greece. Currently, I am studying Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Information Technology at Cyprus University of Technology. However, I love traveling and living in other countries from times to times. In cooperation with New Technologies Club of Cyprus University of Technology we are preparing a FOSS team in Limassol.
I believe and spread the word based on the idea of showing why fedora (and open source in general) is so good to use and has a great community and philosophy supporting it, instead of highlighting "opponents' drawbacks". They do their own work; we are planning for the future. And yes it works!
Until now, I have contributed mainly by acting as the "people person", attending and organizing events, making presentations and workshops, recommending FOSS and helping friends and university students, translating and providing help through irc. This is going to change, as my knowledge in programming, validating and testing software, database and server maintenance and web design is improving via university courses and personal research. Strong will to get involved and true interest IMHO are the most important qualifications for a contributor and I truly support the idea of open source software in my every-day life.
Open Source Software Activities
- Member of ΕΛΛΑΚ (greek Open Source community) and of campaign OneLaptopPerChild for Greece (do you know about Sugar?)
- Member of Ubuntucy (Cypriot Linux and open source community)
- Translator of projects like Limewire, Ubuntu, MeTV, Firefox...
- Member of Ubuntu Gaming Team (follow me on launchpad)
- Fedora Ambassador of Cyprus
- [Participated] [Infosystem 2007, 2008 (Thessaloniki, Greece)]
- [Participated] [Free Software Conference 2009 (Nicosia, Cyprus)]
- [Co-Organized] [Free Software Conference 2010 (Limassol, Cyprus) (29/04/2010)]
- [Presented] [Seminars: Introduction to programming and C programming language (Cyprus University of Technology) (October - December 2010)]
- [Organized] [Fedora 14 Release party + 2 Billion Firefox Downloads (Limassol, Cyprus) (18/11/2010)]
- [Volunteered, Fedora booth] [FOSDEM 2011 (Brussels, Belgium)]
- [Presented] [Workshop: "Installing Software in Linux" (Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, 2011)]
- [Participated] [THATCamp Cyprus 2011, Proposed Open Source Software as a way to ensure accessibility and universality of information and tehcnological literacy (Limassol, Cyprus) (3-4/9/2011)
- [Participated] [Campus Party Milenio (Granada, Spain) (12-16/10/2011) Promoted FOSS among campuseros and hosted campushare, an FTP server based on fedora and proftpd)]
- [Co-Organized, presented Workshop] [Free/Open Source Software Workshop 2011 (reloaded!), (Limassol, Cyprus) (21/10/2011), Presentation $ make install)]
- 11/11/2011 Party, with 8bit music, Arcade games and free beers event in Limassol, Cyprus
- FOSDEM 2012 :)
- Join a developing/packaging team
- Host a FAD event in Cyprus (bidding for FUDCon was proposed on EMEA meeting, but doesn't seem to be the best idea)
- Help more students of my university contribute and use linux and open source software in general! [it works!]
Still an idea, though:
- BubbleBoard is a platform for interactive boards totally based on Free Open Source Software designed specially for primary and elementary school students. It is designed to promote collaboration among students and their teachers. BubbleBoard should be compatible with OLPC and cover a wide range of applications, varying from Mathematic and Physic to Music and Astronomy related ones. This project aims to improve the standards of classic teaching and contribute to the enhancement of students' technological literacy and their reasoning about the Open Source movement.
- IRC Channels: #fedora-el #fedora-ambassadors #ubuntucy #ubuntu-gr #ellak @ freenode (nickname Prometheas)
- Email: misaakidis (@) fedoraproject.org
- sip: misaakidis (@) fedoraproject.org
- Jabber: Prometheas@jabber.org (you can also add me to your googletalk account)
- Subscribe to my blog posts about Fedora