Fedora Workstation: Live Streaming Compatibility Initiative
In the last decade the use case for live streaming games, coding sessions, has skyrocketed, specially after the pandemic.
We want to articulate an initiative to make sure that Fedora Workstation has the best out of the box experience for the software and hardware used by this community of users.
In this page we want to summarize the areas we want to cover and articulate a partnership with entities outside of Fedora that have an interest in both upstream and downstream enablement. As an initial effort we probably want to pick single tool in each category and figure out how to make it work well with the rest of the tools. Once we have a golden standard defined then other tools can work to fit into that standard.
- Elgato Key Light Air This is not connected to the computer, but it is WIFI enabled and can be controlled over the network.
- Prior art:
Mixer and Input decks
- TC Helicon GoXLR Not especially well working atm.
- Elgato Stream Deck
- Elgato Wave XLR
Some extra input in this twitter thread
High-end USB Microphones
- Blue Yeti Works well with Linux.
High End Webcams
- Logitech BRIO Works well under Linux.
- Dell SharpEdge Works somewhat with Linux.
For DSLR as webcam over USB we rely o non upstreamed v4l2loopback + gphoto2. v4l2loopback is very unlikely to go upstream however libcamera seems to be the way forward. Worth exploring what kind of work is needed to get DSLRs working with libcamera.
Worth exploring if some setups rely on software that configure or control the camera somehow from the OS itself or simply getting the stream is fine for most usecases.
- Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus Works well under Linux.
- OBS Studio - We want to reach out to OBS to ensure top notch PipeWire integration and Flatpak availability - Georges Stavracas
- Helvum - Patchbay for PipeWire
- EasyEffects - Audio effects tool for PipeWire
Worth summarizing what the status is for hw encoding on each of these GPU platforms for both MESA and proprietary drivers and then figuring out whether OBS can leverage those or not.
We intend to gather support from vendors and industry players to build momentum around this initiative.