Replace Bazaar with Breezy
- Name: Miro Hrončok
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Name: Marcel Plch
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 32
- Last updated: 2019-10-25
- Tracker bug: #1765576
- Release notes tracker: #415
The reasons for this include:
- bzr is Python 2 only and Python 2 is retired
- bzr fails to build from source
- bzr fails to install
- bzr has no maintainer
Benefit to Fedora
Users of Fedora will be able to use bazaar repositories via breezy. If we don't do this, bzr would be simply removed without a replacement.
- Proposal owners: package
and its dependencies (done, see the package review), flip the bcond in the package to provide/obsolete bzr.
- Other developers: Test that your packages work with breezy (
are impacted). Adapt, drop the dependency or retire the packages.
- Release engineering: no impact with Release Engineering is anticipated
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Eventually removed depndent packages need to be obsoleted.
Breezy aims to be compatible with bazaar, but there might be some differences.
How To Test
Test that installing bzr installs breezy, test that you can use it successfully. Test that bzr gets replaced by breezy when upgrading to Fedora 32.
Users installing bzr will get breezy instead. The
bzr command will be provided as a symbolic link to the
brz (breezy) command. The basic API of that command should be the same.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) Proposal owners will orphan both breezy and bzr (sorry, but not sorry).
- Contingency deadline: final freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No