Update ipython to version 0.13 with reorganizing the package structure to better fit the new upstream structure.
- Name: Thomas Spura
- Email: tomspur [AT] fedoraproject.org
- Name: Matthias Runge
- Email: mrunge [AT] fedoraproject.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-10-09
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Update to the most recent IPython version 0.13 and package split it into subpackages, so one doesn't require to install all the possibly required dependencies.
The subpackage structure is as follows:
- python-ipython-console: Provides the main console/config/core stuff, which you always need, when interacting with ipython.
- python-ipython-gui: Provides the qtconsole and requires QT4
- python-ipython-notebook: Provides the IPython Notebook, which currently requires python-tornado.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora will ship the latest IPython, which has major features like new user interface of the notebook and many more magics. See the Upstream Release Notes for more information.
The main changes takes place in the ipython package. Other packages depending on ipython will pull all ipython packages, when they require the "ipython" package, which might be unnecessary and waste disc space. This can be improved, when those package specificaly pull in those dependencies they need.
For a list of packages and description see Detailed Description above.
How To Test
- Install python-ipython-console and the standard ipython/ipcluster will work out of the box without the need to install huge dependencies like QT.
- Install python-ipython-gui and the qtconsole works out of the box.
- Install python-ipython-notebook and further test the notebook.
Users will be impressed by the new functionality of the notebook and new magics implemented in this version of IPython.
None necessary, revert to old version/package structure.
IPython has been updated to version 0.13 and notable features and head-ups are:
- The Notebook has a new user interface and has many new features like auto-folding of very long lines, uploading new notebooks to the dashboard, manage started clusters and improoved tooltips.
- The notebook format has changed and when you want to share your notebook with users of older version, there is a conversion script available.
- New cell magics like %%bash, %%ruby, %%timeit and many others.
- The Qt console has improved menus and can directly display jpeg images.