- 1 Locale Preferences
This relates very much to localization; while system-config-language sets the default for all available locales on a system-level, and language preferences for users do such on the user-level, users might often need to change just one, two or several
LC_* environment variables, but not all of them. This feature is about providing an interface to mere mortal users, enabling them to adjust their locale settings.
Owner(s), Contributor(s) and Interested People
- Name: JeroenVanMeeuwen (Owner)
- Targeted release: ??
- Last updated: Tue May 06 2008 by JeroenVanMeeuwen
- Percentage of completion: 0%
As a non-native English speaker, using US/English as the system language will end up in all
LC_* environment variables being set to
en_US.utf8 by default, while you might need
LC_PAPER to be set to
nl_NL.utf8 (so that the paper size is A4 instead of Letter). Similar use-cases can be found all around the globe, and as such this impacts lots of users; many of which will, presumably, not know how to change these settings.
This feature exists of two parts:
- Change what sets the LC_* defaults from s-c-language to s-c-date.
- Create a user interface to adjust the system default
- System Defaults: Change what sets the
LC_*defaults. It should not necessarily be impacted by the default language chosen for the system, rather then the timezone. This change applies to the anaconda timezone selection interface as well as system-config-language (optionally adjust
LC_*accordingly, checked by default).
- Changes to the system timezone after initial system installation should only optionally impact
LC_*defaults. This impacts system-config-date (add checkbox to adjust
LC_*accordingly, unchecked by default).
- Users should be able to adjust their
LC_*preferences via a nice GUI interface (or console interface), rather then setting the environment variables.
Benefit to Fedora
- Setting the
LC_*from the chosen timezone is more intuitive, to more users.
- Being able to change these settings via a preferences dialog improves user experience.
NOTE: Users that live abroad may need to have a checkbox disabling changes to the
LC_* when selecting a timezone.
Changes to system-config-date, system-config-language, anaconda, firstboot and the creation of a new GUI/TUI application.
Comments and Discussion