PackageKit Browser Plugin
The PackageKit browser plugin allows people browsing online to install missing applications.
- Name: Richard Hughes
- email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora 12
- Last updated: 2009-09-24
- Percentage of completion: 100%
PackageKit-browser-plugin package installs a browser plugin that can be used to install specified software.
Benefit to Fedora
This feature will add the facility to install packages from websites, in a secure way, rather than telling users to run various yum commands as the root user or describing how to use the PackageKit tools.
This is a very small change in comps, so that the
PackageKit-browser-plugin package gets included in the default package set.
How To Test
yum install PackageKit-browser-plugin
- Restart any browser windows
- Open a web browser (epiphany, firefox, etc) and visit http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/test.html
- Verify the plugin works correctly
Users can install applications directly from web pages, in a secure and cross-distro way.
PackageKit 0.5.1 nspluginwrapper-1.3.0-5 (in F11 updates)
PackageKit-browser-plugin from comps, and revert back to not shipping the browser plugin.
- PackageKit now installs a browser plugin handler so that web pages can install software in a secure environment.
Comments and Discussion