Through a combination of new Web tools, community growth, and better processes, translators can use Fedora Web-based tools to contribute directly to any upstream project, large or small, through one translator-oriented Web interface.
Developers of projects with no existing translation community can easily reach out to Fedora's established community for translations. In turn, the latter can reach out to numerous projects related to Fedora to easily contribute translations.
- Name: DimitrisGlezos, KarstenWade
- Targeted release: Fedora 8
- Last updated: 2007-10-03
- Percentage of completion: 100%
There are multiple parts that make up the success of this feature:
- Technical components are covered under the GSoC project page
- Community organization is covered at L10N/Teams and http://translate.fedoraproject.org/teams/.
Benefit to Fedora
- Developers may choose their Version Control System of choice and are not forced to move to a central VCS server. Productivity and maintainability increase.
- Giving translators easy access to any remote VCS increases the number of localized Fedora apps and our language coverage.
- Having a vivid localization community will likely increase our translation coverage in terms of languages.
Requires a working installation of transifex on our Infrastructure. (./)
Update 3-Oct: Test instance already in use by translators, all issues resolved. Move to app servers almost completed, only minor details left. Update 24-Dec: Just a quick note that everything is set up and we're already in production successfully.
1. Fedora translators will be able to commit to any Fedora VCS via an easy to use web interface. Furthermore, they could contribute to any Fedora-related project, and in extension, to any participating upstream project. 1. Project maintainers will be able to receive translations from our community without the requirement to rebase their translation files on cvs.fpo. 1. Registering bigger upstream projects on the system (eg. OLPC, etc) will make the benefits more visible.
- transifex rpm (./)
- Creation of one special account on all participating VCSs (./)
- Projects not hosted on cvs.fpo will need to either accept translations through bug reports or copy their POs in /cvs/l10n and merge regularly.
- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/DimitrisGlezos (Interview of DimitrisGlezos on Transifex)