- Your name: Felix Schnizlein
- FAS Account: felixsch
- Fedora userpage: felixsch
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog URL: http://none.io
- Freenode IRC Nick: felixsch
- Repository of the proposal: https://github.com/felixsch/gsoc2015-tinykdump
- 1 Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
- 2 Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or any other open source project as a contributor?
- 3 Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
- 4 Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2014 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
- 5 Why should we choose you over other applicants?
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I really like the community behind the Fedora Project. When it comes to making it easy for new people to contribute, Fedora is definitely in a leading position. In my subjective opinion, I see the Fedora Project as one of the leading projects not only when it comes to attracting people, but also when considering its innovative and fast paced development. Those features are admireable which is why I want to be a part of this great project.
In addition, the Fedora project offer me a great chance to gain more experience in real world projects, mentored by experienced developers.
Furthermore, the Fedora community I have met (at the LinuxTage the past years) has convinced me that working with the Fedora Projects will be lots of fun.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or any other open source project as a contributor?
This is the first time I getting involved with the Fedora project, besides using it and helping people occasionally in the IRC channels.
Moreover, I helped the amateur distribution siduction (debian based) to update their build system and setup jenkins (In 2013/2014). Likewise, I provided an experimental xmonad based spin.
Unfortunately, there a no more past projects to mention. However, I am currently working on my projects at github.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
No, this is the first time.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2014 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
I am definitely planning on contributing / supporting the Fedora project. I'm interested in developing/fixing bugs, as well as package management and infrastructure support.
Why should we choose you over other applicants?
- I'm motivated to learn something new, not only because it is part of my studies, but also because it is my hobby which I have been appreciating for years. And I love it!
- Furthermore, I'm eager to start participating in Google summer of code, which will be just the start of contributing to Fedora.
- I'm an experienced Linux user (started using Debian woody in 2003). In addition, I am quite familiar with open-source software.
- I am acquainted with the development of software using a Linux environment, as well as the standard tool chain (git, quilt, make, cmake, bash, diff, patch...)
- I have experience in several programming languages (C/C++, Haskell, Python, bash, php)
- Your acceptance would provide me with a great opportunity, a chance to make new experiences, as well as a long desired contribution to open-source projects.