- 1 Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
- 2 Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
- 3 Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2014 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
- 4 Why should we choose you over other applicants?
- 5 Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or any other open source project as a contributor?
|Complete proposal on google-melange|
|Name||Parth P. Panchal|
|Freenode IRC Nick||prth in #fedora-devel, #fedora-design, #fedora-releng, #fedora-summer-coding|
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I am really excited where Fedora Project is heading: Dev Assistant, Project Atomic, sandboxed linux apps and so on. I adore Fedora's motto “Freedom, Friends, Features, First”
- Freedom: It's remarkable that Fedora Project has actually internalized freedom by distrubing only free, libre & open source packages.
- Friends: I enjoyed the company of a lot of Fedora contributors at GUADEC last year.
- Features: I feel Fedora has an edge over other distros with features like SELinux, Fleet Commander & so on
- First: I would to work with the project that has been a leader in implementing & being an incubating platform for future technologies like packagekit, systemd & so on
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
Yes, last year (2014) under GNOME
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2014 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
Yes, I would love to keep contributing to Fedora Infrastructure and later would like to help as a packager.
Apart from code contribution, I've been managing GNOME's Google+ page as a part of Engagement team.
Why should we choose you over other applicants?
I am passionate about coding. I have been coding for 8 years, from BASIC, C/C++ to Scala. I can quickly grasp the subject matter and correlate it with my previous findings. I love problem solving.
I have been using open-source esp. free, libre, open-source software and following several mailing lists including devel, infrastructure, design-team, summer-coding and many more.
- Coded several simple games like memory, pong & black jack using python and its modules Tkinter & PIL
- Implemented Twitter sentiment analysis on python by analyzing live 1% publicly available tweets through twitter API feed
- Achieved 0.79 accuracy by implementing Decision Tree algorithm in python, using a derived parameter of “alone or with family”, for challenge “Titanic: Machine Learning from disaster”
- Coded python programs for distributed systems using MapReduce
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or any other open source project as a contributor?
No, but I've helped a Fedora intern who was testing GTG, if it counts :)