- Name : Shivkrishna Anilkumar
- FAS Username : nambiarshiva
- Fedora User Page : fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Nambiarshiva
- Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog URL : shivnambiar.wordpress.comm
- Freenode IRC Nick : shiv_
- Code Forges
- Social Media Accounts:
Questions to answer
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
FUDCon 2015 was the first conference which I had attended after coming into the world of Free and Open Source Software. It was a great experience as I could learn a lot from the workshops and talks. Also, we have a FOSS club in our college, FOSS@Amrita where I met Joerg Simon who spoke about Fedora which made me really excited to work with Fedora.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora Project or another open-source project as a contributor?
Have you participated in GSoC in the past? If so, what year(s) and which organization(s)?
No. This is my first-time application for GSoC and the very first organization.
Do you plan to continue contributing to the Fedora Project after GSoC? If yes, what sub-project(s) are you interested with?
Yes. I would like to contribute to Fedora-hubs and Fedora-websites even if I don't get into GSoC. GSoC preparation helps to get in touch with mentors and also know more about the community.
Why should we choose you over other applicants?
I have previous experience working in the open source world. As I had mentioned, I have some minor bug fixes. Also, I am an active member of FOSS@Amrita club. Also, given a task, I am sure to complete the project by the end of GSoC 2016. I have adroit knowledge in HTML/CSS and Python(Github). I can devote 45 hours a week for the Fedora-hubs project.
Have you worked for ANY open source orgs / project and have artifacts we can see / judge your skill-set(s) off?
- Yes. I am an active member of the FOSS club at Amrita.
- I got acquainted with Haskell and Vagrant by attending FUDCon 2015, Pune(Blog). During the event, I was also able to meet the top-notch developers of Fedora.
- Participated in a 24-hour coding hackathon organized by HackIndia Bangalore.
- Won FOSSTER 2016, a bug fixing contest for Mediawiki, conducted as a part of Shaastra technical festival at Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
Overview and The Need
Fedoras Hubs project is aimed at the contributor circle. It is a Portal where a developer or a newbie can contribute to Fedora in a much easier way. The reusable features will allow the Portal to use this work to speak to general developers who may not have an interest in working in the Fedora community, but want to connect with community members for advice, best practices, or to generate interest in their upstream project. Contributors work on different projects in Fedora, and this portal can get information on all the different projects they are working on.
Any relevant experience you have
As a contributor, I have worked on some websites which I had mentioned earlier and also have knowledge in Python-Django framework.I am good at HTML/CSS and JS coding. There are some minor bug fixes that have got merged.(https://gitlab.com/procps-ng/procps/merge_requests/11 1)(2)
How do you intend to implement your proposal
- Work on Library Widget.
- Work on a Class Reference widget which can help contributors to just search for the keyword and find all details.
- Create a Hub bookmark bar.
- If time permits, I will work to create more widgets.
A rough timeline for your progress
- 22 April to 9 May : Community bonding period, get familiar with the community, contribute by submitting and fixing bugs, understand the source code of existing Fedora-Hubs and getting to know mentor well.
- 9 May to 24 May : University Exams
- 24 May to 16 June : Working on Library widget and Hub bookmark bar
- 17 June to 20 June : Code Review and Fixing Bugs
- 21 June : Midterm Evaluation
- 22 June to 16 June : Working on Class reference widget
- 7 July to 14 July : Writing unit tests,Testing the workflow
- 15 July to 22 July : Writing Documentation, Deployment
- 23 July to 29 July : Final Report submission.
- 30 July to 21 August : Making the widgets look better and if possible add more widgets
- 22 August : Final evaluation.
- Afterward : Continue reporting and fixing bugs in Fedora-Hubs
A well integrated Fedora Hubs page that has many widgets to support a new contributor which can be successfully integrated to the developer portal. A very good UI for the developer portal.
Any other details you feel we should consider
I will be contributing to Fedora and also try to make a Fedora Community in our college.