Attach a physical USB device to your guest.
Functioning Fedora host and a VM of any OS. More VM OS and USB devices the merrier!
How to test
Attach the host USB device
- Start the VM
- Add Hardware->USB Host Device
- Choose the device you want to assign from the list, like:
009:002 SanDisk Extreme
- Click Finish
- Verify that the guest shows up in 'lsusb' output in the guest.
- Verify the device's functionality in the guest (this will be device specific)
- Select the device in virt-manager, and click 'Remove'.
- Verify the device again appears in the host, and is functional on the host.
- Find the device you want to attach in the output of
lsusb, copy the ID string, something like
- Attach the device to running VM 'test-day-vm' using virt-xml:
sudo virt-xml test-day-vm --update --add-device --host-device 0781:5406
- Verify the device is usable in the VM
- Remove the device from the running VM 'test-day-vm':
sudo virt-xml test-day-vm --update --remove-device --host-device 0781:5406
- Verify the device is visible and functioning on the host machine
No obvious errors occur.