This is a test case to check ibus typing booster is working as expected.
Follow up to the steps in QA:Testcase i18n input method setup to configure the input method on the desktop in general.
- Install ibus typing booster using following command
dnf install ibus-typing-booster
dnf install emoji-picker
dnf install python3-enchant
dnf install pyhunspell-python3
- (Installing python3-enchant and pyhunspell-python3 is optional, but at least one of these is installed, one will not only get completions but also spelling corrections. If both are installed, python3-enchant is preferred)
- Installing emoji-picker is optional as well, but this is a nice stand-alone tool to search for emoji by browsing emoji categories or typing search strings.
- Add the input source which has (Typing Booster) in the name. Open gnome-control-center -> then on left side you click on "Region & languages" -> then on right side you select vertical 3 dots at the bottom. This is because only input methods for the most common languages are shown at the top. To browse the full list, you click on the 3 vertical dots. Then in the search box you type "Typing booster", You will find "Other". click on "Other". Then on "Other (Typing Booster)". Then on "Add" button. Now you should have an entry “Other (Typing Booster) 🚀” in the gnome panel.
- You may also want to install hunspell dictionaries for your language because ibus-typing-booster can use them if they are installed. To install dictionaries for your language use
dnf install hunspell-??
- where ?? is the code for your language.
How to test
- Select the (Typing Booster) input source in the Gnome panel
- You can select the settings entry for (Typing Booster) in the panel now. This starts the setup tool. In the setup tool you can add input methods and dictionaries for your language. A default for the current locale should be already set.
- Type something. A list of completion candidates should pop up.
- You can select and commit a candidate by typing the number displayed in front of the candidate.
- You can also select a candidate using the mouse.
- Or you can select a candidate using arrow-up/arrow-down and commit with the space key.
- Or don’t select a candidate at all and commit the preëdit (the typed string) using the space key.
- When typing something like cat_ i.e. a word which matches an emoji followed by an underscore, you should see emoji among the candidates.
- This should work in almost all languages, for example if you are using typing-booster with a Spanish dictionary, gato_ should give you cat emojis.
- If you don’t want to type the _ you can switch the option “Unicode symbols and emoji predictions“ on in the setup tool. Note that this slows down typing-booster a lot, therefore this option is off by default.
- For detailed information about emoji and Unicode symbol input see [Unicode symbols and emoji predictions]
/usr/bin/emoji-pickerto test the emoji browsing tool.
- You can left click on a emoji to get it into the cut and paste buffer and then paste them into some program like gedit.
- You can right click on a emoji to get more information about that emoji.
- On emoji which support skin tone variants,for example 👧, you can middle click or long press with the left mouse button to get the skin tone variants.
- If an emoji is matched, it usually appears at the bottom of the candidate list (unless you typed that emoji already before, then it may get scored higher). If you see an emoji at the bottom of the candidate list and this is not the one you wanted, you can scroll the candidate list down to the next page(s), there will probably be more similar emoji. Or you can click the any emoji candidate with the right mouse button, this will give you similar emoji.
- Detailed documentation for emoji-picker is here: [Emoji picker]
- Detailed documentation for ibus-typing-booster is here [ibus-typing-booster documentation]
- New words are getting added to the user database after commit, therefore one should notice that the system becomes more intelligent while typing because it remembers which words appear in which context
- To speed up the learning process, one can use the ibus-typing-booster setup tool to read some text files