This test case tests whether kernel mode setting works successfully with the Nouveau driver. For Fedora 11 it is known only to work with GeForce 8xxx and later cards; failure with GeForce 7xxx and earlier is expected.
How to test
- Enable the nouveau driver. You may need to install the driver package, and download this file and install it as /etc/X11/xorg.conf . If using the Test Day live CD, you can ignore this step
- Shut your system down entirely, then start it up again (using the Test Day live CD if you so choose)
- At the bootloader step, enter the bootloader (on the live CD press any key when the countdown to automatic boot starts). Press 'e' on the default entry to edit the kernel options. If necessary, select the line with the kernel parameters and hit 'e' again. Append nouveau.modeset=1 as a kernel parameter
- Continue with boot until you reach the normal desktop. If you see a message saying the kernel option is unrecognized, ignore it - this is a false error and means nothing
- You should see a graphical boot progress screen at the correct resolution for your display
- The boot process should hand off to X smoothly with no resolution changes, and your desktop should come up normally as in the basic test case