amdgpu default for all GCN cards
Migrating AMD GCN 1.0 and 1.1 support to amdpgu and drop radeon driver.
- Name: Luya Tshimbalanga
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: TBA
- Last updated: 2017-09-24
- Tracker bug: N/A
Current GCN cards from 1.0 to 1.1 use radeon driver default while newer versions run on amdpgu. The goal is to complete the migration of the GCN 1.0 and 1.1 to amdgpu. Mystro256 COPR has both amd-mainline-kernel and amd-staging-kernel based from agd5f's repository as template.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora gains an improved support of AMD GCN hardware including the recent RX Vega while staying relevant. Radeon driver will be reserved for R600 models and below.
- Proposal owners:
- All GCN cards support amdgpu by default
- Drop radeon module from all GCN cards
- Features parity
- Provide feedback and bug report to AMD developers
- Other developers:
- Fedora kernel team will include patches from AMD developers to facilitate the test
- Release engineering: #6851
- Policies and guidelines:
- Apart from scope, this is business as usual, so no policies, no guidelines.
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- No impact on system upgrade.
- No manual configuration or data migration needed.
How To Test
- AMD GCN 1.0 and 1.1 hardware required
with amdgpu support enabled for both South Island and Sea Island cards and patches provided by AMD developers
- Contingency mechanism: Keep using radeon driver
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None