North American Ambassador Goals
This is really informally written feel free to edit, delete, mangle or send the link to others. It's ugly and not much more than a convoluted stream of thoughts.
Plan to take over the world....errr NA Ambassadors.
Dividing up the continent between the three community members that have presented themselves as willing and to slowly dilute that as others come aboard. . We really want to further subdivide these groups, but that will occur after more people become involved - Ideally we'd have a 'Lead Ambassador' per state, or per sub-state region (like SoCal). Mexico - despite its location in NA is handled by LATAM.
- West - herlo (Clint Savage) MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, UT, ID, WA, OR, CA, AK, HI, NV
- Central - inode0 (John Rose) ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, MN, IA, IL, MO, AR, LA, IN, MI, WI, Canada
- East - ke4qqq (David Nalley) FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, VA, AL, MS, KY, OH, WV, MD, PA, NY, DE, RI, NJ, ME, VT, NH, MA, CT
The responsibilities for regional ambassadors include:
- Contacting existing Ambassadors to get them fired up and back in action (not that they aren't, but to get them working towards getting things accomplished for the long term NAA goals.) For instance, my first email would be to iWolf - asking him to signon (which would lend credibility since he has a seat on FAMSCo) to our ideas and then to take over the Northeastern states.
- Beginning to coordinate our activities - realistically we don't have a good idea of what is or isn't happening with NA. The current process for obtaining resources is rarely used - and many people back channel things.
- Step up and take charge of things - we are in charge of the things that we take charge of. While we don't want to toss off the RH training wheels too early - we have to take ownership. This is particularly true if those things are only within your region. Doesn't mean we can't delegate - but we need to insure it gets done.
- Mentoring new NA Ambassadors.
One question still undetermined - if we create this organization do we nest it - ie retain the regional leads who coordinate with state leads, or do we dissolve the regional leads?
- We need to take them under our wings and mentor them.
- Stay in close contact, encourage them.
- Give them direction on how to contact people.things to do, etc.
- Help them take ownership of the public face of Fedora.
If you sit and watch others do work you have nowhere near the appreciation for the work being done.
We need to control schwag for purely symbolic reasons. While spevack and gregdek do a great job of this, it gives the impression that it's RH. Please don't take this offensively guys - you do a great job, but we need something that says the community owns the process, even if we are glorified delivery boys.
Control of NA swag will be delegated to the regional ambassadors beginning with the F11 release. We can either divvy it up or have centralized, a detail we can iron out We need NA Ambassadors coming to the 'NA organization' rather than FAMSCo, Max, or Greg. (further discussion needed here)
F11 and beyond
- Sign up to become a NA Ambassador, if you are one, you can request (what do you think?)
- We'll need to provide authorized requesters. For instance - any post-probation NA Ambassador can request up to 50 CDs/DVDs without any other prereqs. (not sure this should be necessary. I think if they participate, they can order a certain number per quarter.)
NOTE: For F10 we will still have to rely on RH for non-media-swag - OR if uptake is fast enough we may spawn our own - but I don't want to overcommit us.
- We need to define our relationship with FAMSCo - where is the line between their responsibilities and ours.
- We need to have a liason with them (iWolf?) if we are going to utilize them.