IBus 1.6 will have the features of XKB prefix language icons on the panel in KDE 5 and support $HOME/.XCompose file in non-GNOME desktops and show input modes in Japanese input method engine in non-GNOME desktops.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: tfujiwar [at] redhat [dot] com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 23
- Last updated: 2015-06-12
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Plasma 5 (KDE) no longer support GtkStatusIcon and IBus provides the different icons between Plasma and other desktops. The current IBus shows a fixed IBus icon for any XKB layouts in Plasma desktop but IBus shows the XKB language prefix names on the icon in other desktops likes "EN" for "us" layout, "FR" for "fr" layout. IBus 1.6 will show the prefix names on the icon in Plasma 5 too.
The current IBus supports the compose tables of en_US, fi_FI and pt_BR and only and have the hard-coded tables in itself. IBus 1.6 will load /usr/share/X11/locale/$LOCALE/Compose with the current session locale dynamically and also load $HOME/.XCompose file for the customization.
ibus-anthy shows input mode as a separated icon currently and this update will integrate the input mode icon into the IBus panel icon. IBus panel icon will draw a chosen property after the engine icon is drawn.
Benefit to Fedora
XKB prefix icons are useful to distinguish XKB layouts when users switch IBus XKB engines. Some users requeste to support .XCompose file.
- Proposal owners:
- Implement XKB prefix in IBus panel for Plasma 5.
- Implement to load compose tables in libibus.so
- Implement to draw a property icon in IBus Panel for non-GNOME desktop.
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
If any users don't wish to load .XCompose file, the file needs to be renamed.
How To Test
- Log into Plasma 5 desktop
- Run ibus-daemon with im-chooser
- Run ibus-setup and load some XKB layout engines
- Enable a XKB engine
- Log into fi_FI.UTF-8 locale in a non-GNOME desktop
- Run ibus-dameon with im-chooser
- Enable "fi" layout engine and fi_FI compose file is loaded
- Customize .XCompose file
- Restart ibus-daemon
- Log into a non-GNOME desktop.
- Enable ibus-anthy.
- Activate an input focus and the input mode is shown on the panel icon.
XKB prefix language names will be shown on the KDE panel. $HOME/.XCompose file can be used.
- Contingency mechanism: Just drop the features.
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No