IBus 1.5.21 will extend the current compose typing.
- IBus will extend the compose key sequences less than 255 characters.
- IBus will extend the compose outputs more equal than one characters.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
- Targeted release: Fedora 31
- Last updated: 2019-07-02
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The current IBus accepts the compose key sequences less than 7 characters due to the internal fixed buffer size, E.g. Multi_key-O-R are three characters and the sequence can output "®" but Multi_key-Multi_key-o-i-i-i-n-t are eight characters and the sequence is not enabled in IBus. This release will extend this limitation to 255 characters.
The current IBus outputs one compose character only and size is limited in 16bits. E.g. "®" is one character and it can be output and "🗼" is one character but the size is extended the upper limit of 16bits and the output is not enabled in IBus. This release will delete the limitation of the character lengths and the size will be extended to 32bits.
Benefit to Fedora
The users won't have to mind those compose limitations above and X11 compose does not have the limitations.
- Proposal owners:
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Users can update their local compose file in
$HOME/.XCompose to extend the compose table and need to restart ibus-daemon.
How To Test
$HOME/.config/ibus/Composewith the following context 
- Restart ibus-daemon
- Launch gedit and type Multi_key-t-o-w-e-r
"🗼" is output.
<Multi_key> <t> <o> <w> <e> <r> : "🗼"
Users can reuse the user compose file of X11 to IBus. The X11 system compose file has been loaded by the desktop locale since the previous IBus version.
This change effects all IBus engines but rebuilds are not needed.
- Contingency mechanism: Drop the feature in Fedora 31 and postpone it to Fedora 32
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No