Rename Atomic Workstation to Silverblue
The Atomic Workstation variant is being renamed to Fedora Silverblue.
- Name: Matthias Clasen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Product: Workstation
- Responsible WG: Workstation WG and Team Silverblue (formerly Atomic Workstation SIG)
- Targeted release: Fedora 29
- Last updated: 2018-06-26
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
The Atomic Workstation is being rebranded as Fedora Silverblue, to give this project more visibility and realize its full potential for bringing new users to Fedora. There is new website, www.teamsilverblue.org, which is gathering information and resources around this effort.
Benefit to Fedora
The Atomic Workstation has been an 'undercover' effort so far that was created as a by-product of Project Atomic, but it was not widely known. The name change and the new website are aiming to make this Workstation variant more prominent. The Atomic variant is better suited for some use cases than the traditional Workstation and will make Fedora more attractive for those users.
Concrete suggested changes:
- Change ostree repo branch name to fedora/29/x86_64/silverblue
- Change /etc/os-release to say Silverblue in the appropriate places
- Provide branding in fedora-logos package that says Silverblue
- Change install media name to Fedora-Silverblue-ostree-...
- Proposal owners:
- Provide patches for /etc/os-release and fedora-logos
- Other developers:
- Change lorax templates to refer to new branch name
- Change anaconda install media: https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/issues/1504
- Create a Silverblue install class in anaconda: https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/issues/1505
- Make necessary changes in pungi: https://pagure.io/pungi/issue/982
- Release engineering:  (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- List of deliverables:
- The Fedora Atomic Workstation iso will be renamed to Fedora-Silverblue-x86_64...
- The getfedora.org webpage will need corresponding adjustments
- List of deliverables:
- Policies and guidelines: No changes
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
This change does not affect the function of rpm-ostree rebase, which is explicitly switching between two differently named branches anyway.
How To Test
- Download the Silverblue install media, and do an installation
- Verify that the media and the installer refer to Silverblue, not to Atomic Workstation
Apart from the name change in the installer, the user experience will not change noticably compared to Atomic Workstation in F28.
- Contingency mechanism: Keep old names. As an intermediate step, we can change just the user-visible names, and leave branch names and other less visible references unchanged
- Contingency deadline: beta
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
Documentation about Silverblue is being collected here: https://docs.teamsilverblue.org
The Atomic Workstation variant is now called Silverblue.