A new perl 5.24 version brings a lot of changes done over a year of development. Perl 5.24 will be released 5/9/2016. See 5.24.0 perldelta for more details about preparing release.
- Name: Jitka Plesníková
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Name: Petr Písař
- Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Release notes owner:
- Get dedicated build-root from rel-engs (f25-perl)
- Define perl_bootstrap in perl-srpm-macros
- Rebase perl to 5.24.0
- Build new perl 5.24 keeping old COMPAT Provides
- Rebuild dual-lived packages (otherwise yum recommends --skip-broken and fails)
- Rebuild packages needed for minimal build-root
- Rebuild packages needed for building source packages from git repository
- Remove old perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.22.*) from perl
- Undefine perl_bootstrap
- Rebuild packages having perl_bootstrap condition in spec file
- Rebuild other packages: Use Fedora::Rebuild dependency solver
- Rebuild all updated packages
- Merge dedicated build-root to rawhide and remove the dedicated one by rel-engs
- Synchronize packages upgraded in f25 build root
Items in progress
- Rebuilt Perl packages: 2857 of 2865 done (99.72 %)
Items to be done
- The graph with failed/unsatisfied packages
- Failed (5)
- perl-Algorithm-Permute - known issue CPAN RT#112247 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1338712
- perl-Data-Alias - known issue CPAN RT#112289 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1338720
- perl-Scope-Upper - known issue CPAN RT#112246 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1338725
- uwsgi - fails with v8-5.2.258 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1339293
- weechat - fails with recent v8 - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1338728
- Unsatisfied build-time dependencies (3)
- perl-Task-Moose - missing perl-TryCatch - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1339249
- perl-TryCatch - missing perl-Scope-Upper - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1339241
- rt - missing perl-Scope-Upper - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1339296
New perl is released every year and updates containing mainly bug fixes follow during the year. The 5.24.0 version is stable release this year.
Benefit to Fedora
Up-to-date and latest perl release will be delivered to Fedora users.
Every Perl package will be rebuilt in a dedicated f25-perl build-root against perl 5.24.0 and then if no major problem emerges the packages will be merged back to f25 build-root.
- Proposal owners:
New perl and all packages requiring perl or a Perl module will be rebuilt into f25-perl build-root.
- Other developers:
Owners of packages that fail to rebuild, mainly perl-sig users, will be asked using Bugzilla to fix or remove their packages from the distribution.
- Release engineering:
Release engineers will be asked for new f25-perl build-root inheriting from f25 build-root. After successful finishing the rebuild, they will be asked to merge f25-perl packages back to f25 build-root.
- Policies and guidelines:
No policies have to be modified to complete this change.
Vast majority of functionality will be preserved. Only the packages that failed to build against perl 5.24 will be removed from the distribution. That will require to remove those packages from existing systems otherwise package manager will encounter unsatisfied dependencies.
How To Test
Try upgrading from Fedora 24 to 25. Try some Perl application to verify they work as expected. Try embedded perl in slapd or snmpd.
There should not be any remarkable change in user experience.
There is more than 2700 packages depending on perl. Most of them are expected not to break. Finishing this change can be endangered only by critical changes in a toolchain.
If we find perl 5.24 is not suitable for Fedora 25, we will revert back to perl 5.22 and we drop the temporary build-root with already rebuilt packages.
- Contingency deadline: branching Fedora 25 from Rawhide.
- Blocks release? No.
- New features:
- Removed features: