This wiki contains information related to the Cups and System-config-printing provided with Fedora.
CUPS The version of cups provided with Fedora is cups-1.4 and following are the features in general, Though there are about number of changes, Below document provides most used , and most noticeable changes
- The web-interface has been given a new look , using php-cgi and not php.
- The new interface provides more improvements to add and modify printer configuration
- The Administration page provides more advanced operations like share, unshare, provides list of backends to choose from
- CUPS now conforms to the draft IPP/2.0 and IPP/2.1 specifications
- CUPS supports the operation of downloading of files from print job using the "CUPS-Get-Document Operation"
- The scheduler and backend discovery interface support a device-location attribute where we can specify the location of the printer
- Support of hold jobs and releasing of jobs on hold
The cups web interface which is accessed through http://localhost:631 is been given new look In this release, system-config-printer uses PolicyKit to control access to restricted CUPS functionality. The following functions are controlled via PolicyKit policies currently:
- add/remove/edit local printers
- add/remove/edit remote printers
- add/remove/edit classes
- enable/disable printer
- set printer as default printer
- get/set server settings
- restart/cancel/edit a job owned by another user
- restart/cancel/edit a job