Each release of Fedora is maintained as laid out in the maintenance schedule. At the conclusion of the maintenance period, a Fedora release enters end of life status. This procedure describes the tasks necessary to move a release to that status.
- Releng responsibilities:
- Follow guidelines of maintenance schedule
- Take into account any infrastructure or other supporting project resource contention
- Announce the closure of the release to the package maintainers.
- from rel-eng to f-devel-announce, f-announce-l, including
- date of last update push (if needed)
- date of actual EOL
- disable builds by removing targets
koji remove-target f19 koji remove-target f19-updates-candidate
- Purge from disk the signed copies of rpms that are signed with the EOL'd release key
- In puppet, set the push scripts to not push the old release:
diff --git a/configs/system/fedora-updates-push b/configs/system/fedora-updates-push index 2c05334..39e25f7 100755 --- a/configs/system/fedora-updates-push +++ b/configs/system/fedora-updates-push @@ -3,7 +3,7 @@ SOURCE=/mnt/koji/mash/updates DEST=/pub/fedora/linux/updates/ -for rel in 11 12 13; do +for rel in 12 13; do rsync -rlptDvHh --delay-updates $RSYNC_OPTS --exclude "repodata/*" \ $SOURCE/f$rel-updates/ $DEST/$rel/ &>/dev/null @@ -11,7 +11,7 @@ rsync -rlptDvHh --delay-updates $RSYNC_OPTS --delete --delete-after \ $SOURCE/f$rel-updates/ $DEST/$rel/ &>/dev/null done -for rel in 11 12 13; do +for rel in 12 13; do rsync -rlptDvHh --delay-updates $RSYNC_OPTS --exclude "repodata/*" \ $SOURCE/f$rel-updates-testing/ $DEST/testing/$rel/ &>/dev/null
- Take a bodhi database snapshot for good measure
[masher@releng04 bodhi]$ bodhi-pickledb save
- Remove all updates and comments associated with the release
[masher@releng04 bodhi]$ bodhi-rmrelease F19
Set the release to be End of Life in the PackageDB. A admin can login and do this from the web interface.
Source Control (git)
- Branches for new packages in git are not allowed for distribution X after the Fedora X+2 release. New builds are no longer allowed for EOL Fedora releases.
Fedora Program Manager Tasks
- Close all open bugs
- End of life process
- Update the description of Fedora in bugzilla for the current releases.
- Get someone from sysadmin-main to login as the email@example.com user to bugzilla.
- Have them edit the description of the Fedora product here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/editproducts.cgi?action=edit&product=Fedora
- Update the "cold undead hands" badge.
- Remove unsupported EC2 images from Cloud_images#Currently_supported_EC2_images.
- File a Taskotron ticket and ask for the EOL'd release support to be removed. (Log in to Phabricator using your FAS email address).
- from releng to f-announce-l
- on EOL date if at all possible
- link to previous reminder announcement (use HTTPS)
- Consider this EOL announcement from openoffice.org
- Note FAQ
Update eol wiki page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/End_of_life update with release and number of days.
Consider Before Running
- Resource contention in infrastructure, such as outages
- Extenuating circumstances for specific planned updates, if any