FUDcon EMEA 2012 - Paris
- 1 FUDcon EMEA 2012 - Paris
- 1.1 Local Team
- 1.2 Date
- 1.3 Brief description of the city.
- 1.4 Airports and their distance from lodging and venue
- 1.5 Estimated costs of flights major airports that attendees will travel from
- 1.6 Outline of local mass transit
- 1.7 Detailed description of proposed venue
- 1.8 Description of proposed lodging and estimated costs
- 1.9 Outline of proximate restaurant location
- 1.10 FUDpub Option
- 1.11 Pros and Cons of the proposed location
- The plan is to host FUDCon EMEA 2012 at the same date and place as OWF 2012.
We've talked things over with Louis Montagne, president for the 2011 edition and he's interested in having both events take place at once. OWF 2012 will take place on the 27, 28 and 29th of september 2012. Right now, the forum looks like it will be hosted at the Eurosites GV location the 2011 edition was at but this is still incertain.
- The Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie has agreed to serve as a fallback location.
Brief description of the city.
Paris is the capital (and largest city) of France, at the heart of the Île-de-France region. The city of Paris has an estimated population of 2,211,297 while the Paris metropolitan area has a population of 12,089,098 and is one of the most populated metropolitan areas in Europe. Paris was the largest city in the Western world for about 1,000 years, prior to the 19th century, and the largest in the world between the 16th and 19th centuries.
Paris is today one of the world's leading business and cultural centres, and its influences in politics, education, entertainment, media, fashion, science, and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the world's major global cities. It hosts the headquarters of many international organizations such as UNESCO, the OECD, the International Chamber of Commerce or the informal Paris Club. Paris is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world as one of the greenest and most liveable in Europe. It is the most visited city in the world.
Further useful information :
- Official currency: Euro (EUR)
- Time zone: CEST
- Electrical ratings: 230V/50Hz, (Plug type: #FIXME)
Airports and their distance from lodging and venue
Estimated costs of flights major airports that attendees will travel from
As of Dec. 13th 2011
|Trains||British Airways||Air France|
|Price||Trains reservation start only 3 months prior to the event||£ 102.55||134.56 €|
|Date||Trains reservation start only 3 months prior to the event||25.09.2012 16:45 - 18:55 London (LHR) -> Paris (ORY)||25.09.2012 15:45 - 16:00 Paris (ORY) -> London (LHR)|
|Date||Trains reservation start only 3 months prior to the event||25.09.2012 18:00 - 20:10 London (LHR) -> Paris (CDG)||25.09.2012 18:10 - 18:25 Paris (CDG) -> London (LHR)|
|Air Berlin||Lufthansa||Easy Jet|
|Price||100,01 €||155.79 €||86.97 €|
|Date||25.09.2012 06:15 - 08:00 Berlin (BER) -> Paris (ORY)||25.09.2012 17:40 - 19:15 Berlin (BER) -> Paris (CDG)||25.09.2012 16:10 - 18:00 Berlin (BER) -> Paris (ORY)|
|Date||29.09.2012 21:15 - 22:55 Paris (ORY) -> Berlin (BER)||29.09.2012 11:10 - 14:25 Paris (CDG) -> Berlin (BER) (via Munich)||29.09.2012 16:20 - 18:05 Paris (ORY) -> Berlin (BER)|
- Air France
24.09.2012 19:15 - 8:35 (+1 Day) New York (JFK) -> Paris (CDG)
30.09.2012 8:20 - 10:30 Paris (CDG) -> New York (JFK)
Outline of local mass transit
The RATP (Régie autonome des transports parisiens) manages the majority of the public transport service of the city of Paris and its suburbs.
Metro services operate between 05:30-01:30 and cover 16 lines.
Bus services is extensive and operates from 05:00 to 22:00.
Detailed description of proposed venue
- Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie
Description of proposed lodging and estimated costs
Outline of proximate restaurant location
This is Paris, for the love of $ENTITY.
Pros and Cons of the proposed location
- The forum will be heavily marketed to the FLOSS population so we can expect a high turnout of Open Source enthusiasts who are curious about Fedora.
- If the 2011 location is kept, we can have a number of small rooms (20 people each ?) which seems in line with what we will need, judging by the attendance of FUDCon Zurich and FUDCon Milan)
- I don't remember seeing a large room in which we can hold the opening meeting (where we really need to have all attendees present). We'll need to ask the OWF committee if there is one available.