libkkc, a new Japanese Kana Kanji input library, will be available in Fedora 19, along with an IBus input method engine which uses libkkc as backend (ibus-kkc). ibus-kkc will be the default Japanese input method in place of ibus-anthy.
- Name: Daiki Ueno
- Email: ueno at gnu.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-03-12
- Percentage of completion: 90%
There are currently two options for typical users to input Japanese sentences: ibus-anthy or ibus-mozc. However, both have issues:
- Anthy, the backend library, has been dead upstream for years.
- The accuracy is not good because of bugs in the core algorithm of Anthy.
- Contributions to the input method are limited to Google employees.
- There are no library interface. That means it cannot easily be used by other input method frameworks than IBus, such as Fcitx and uim.
libkkc and ibus-kkc will be a better replacement of those.
Benefit to Fedora
- Users will get more intelligent and openly developed Japanese input method.
- Developers will be able to use libkkc easily from their input method frameworks.
- Import marisa-trie, libkkc, ibus-kkc packages to Fedora (done)
- Make ibus-kkc as the default Japanese input method
- port necessary features like keybinding editor from other IMEs
- Provide Anthy compatible library for smooth transition from ibus-anthy
How To Test
- Try to add "Japanese (Kana Kanji)" input source from gnome-control-center Region panel.
- Enable "Japanese (Kana Kanji)" input source from the gnome-shell.
- Input some Japanese text, say "watashinonamaehanakanodesu", to input a Kana-string "わたしのなまえはなかのです"
- Type Space to convert it to a Kana-Kanji-mixed-string "わたしの名前は中野です".
- With the libkkc back end, Japanese users can speed up the Kana Kanji input thanks to its high accuracy algorithm than ibus-anthy.
- libkkc (packaged)
- marisa (packaged)
- Keep ibus-anthy as the default Japanese input method
- The default Japanese input method changed to ibus-kkc, which uses a new libkkc backend that provides a more intelligent Kana Kanji conversion method. It will speed up the user input of Japanese characters.