FESCo is the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee. It is a fully community elected body and represents the technical leadership in Fedora.
FESCo handles the process of accepting new features, the acceptance of new packaging sponsors, Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and SIG Oversight, the packaging process, handling and enforcement of maintainer issues and other technical matters related to the distribution and its construction.
- Kevin Fenzi (nirik) - F22/F23
- Josh Boyer (jwb) - F23/F24
- Tomas Hozza (thozza) - F22/F23
- Dennis Gilmore (dgilmore) - F23/F24
- Adam Jackson (ajax) - F22/F23
- Parag Nemade (paragan) - F22/F23
- Debarshi Ray (rishi) - F22/F23
- Haïkel Guémar (hguemar) - F23/F24
- Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh) - F23/F24
Chair is rotating.
Generally, issues are voted on in FESCo. A majority of the committee (that is, 5 of 9) is required to pass a proposal. Votes can be accepted in the agenda tickets as well as the meeting, however, if less than 5 members are able to attend a meeting, the meeting is cancelled.
FESCo meets usually each Wednesday at 18:00 UTC or 17:00 UTC (when daylight saving time applies) on the Freenode IRC Network (
irc.freenode.net) in #fedora-meeting. You should verify the meeting date and time from the devel mail "Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting" being sent in advance.
FESCo meeting discussions will last for 15 minutes. At the end of the 15 minute discussion one of the following actions may be taken:
- If there is a vote to continue, then discussion continues for an additional 15 minutes.
- If there is no vote to continue the discussion after the initial 15 minutes, ask those members who are discussing the issue to clearly write up their thoughts and position on a wiki page for consideration at the next meeting. Each view point can list their thoughts as a separate proposal, or work off-line with others, to come up with a single proposal acceptable to them all. The wiki page is used in the next meeting to guide discussions and voting.
All requests for consideration by the steering committee (including group sponsorship requests and maintainer-ship issues) should be submitted as a ticket:
- FESCo Ticketing System
- Enter New FESCo Ticket (Add 'meeting' to the keywords if you want it to be a topic of the next meeting)
You can find FESCO's meeting minutes at the fedora meetbot site as well as posted to the email@example.com list after each meeting. Note that meetings prior to the 2010-10-20 meeting were on Tuesdays.
FESCo has a private mailing list for sensitive matters. This list will have as subscribers only the current FESCo members and the Fedora Project Leader. This list should only be used in very rare situations with private information. The FESCo chair will make sure any discussion on this list that doesn't need to be private will be resent to a public forum (FESCo trac, devel list, etc).