This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 20 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Spherical Cow → Schrödinger's Cat → <new name>? Schrödinger's Cat is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Spherical Cow and Schrödinger's Cat was "A spherical cow is a theoretical thought experiment, and so is Schrödinger's Cat." The link between Schrödinger's Cat and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: May 15 - May 22
- List to Fedora Board for review: May 22 - May 29
- Legal Review of Board approved names: May 29 - June 05
- Community vote on final name: June 08 - June 15
- Name announced: Before June 22
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Schrödinger's Cat is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Spherical Cow to Schrödinger's Cat, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the themeable column. This is reserved for the Fedora design team, who will be creating the theme.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|foo||foo is a bar, so is foobar!||Yes||foo is a good name||Yes!|