O'Reilly OSCON 2008
- OSCON is the crossroads of all things open source, bringing together the best, brightest, and most interesting people to explore what's new, and to champion the cause of open principles and open source adoption across the computing industry.
Fedora's purposes for attending this show, in order of importance:
- Meet people from other prominent projects and look for collaborative opportunites
- Drive out to meet with Oregon State University on Tuesday, July 22nd
- Represent the Fedora Project to newcomers at the booth
- Location: Oregon Convention Center - Portland, OR
- Flight: PDX is your airport
- Hotel: Any hotel near the convention center is fine, everything is walking distance. Alternatively, you can stay by the Rose Garden (Sports Arena) which is near by, also walking distance. Hotels there tend to be cheaper.
- Light Rail: You don't need a car to get from the airport to the convention center (and most likely the surrounding hotels). Check out the schedule for the MAX here: http://www.trimet.org/ It is super cheap at $2.05 or less.
- July 21-25, 2008
- Expo floor is open Wed and Thu July 23-24 from 10:00AM PDT to 16:00PM PDT
- Setup/booth duty schedule below
- Fedora Booth in .Org Pavilion on Floor
- What are the swag requirements? (MaxSpevack)
- Fedora BoF (schedule unknown yet)
ISVs, providers, and projects we want to chat with about getting in to Fedora
- Mindtouch Deki Wiki (they have their own yum repo, but no Fedora install instructions :( http://wiki.mindtouch.com/Official_MindTouch_Deki_Wiki_Installation_Guides )
- Automattic (are they coming?)
- Atlassian (wtf not floss?)
- FairSoftware (still trying to grok their scheme)
- Lina Software (http://www.openlina.com/faq.html answer 4 is nice.)
- Plain Black/WebGUI
- Six Apart
- Zimbra (good luck!)
(T) indicates a Traveller to the event; (L) indicates a Local.
- JackAboutboul (T)
- GregDeKoenigsberg (T)
- KarstenWade (T)
- JohnPoelstra (L)
- ClintSavage (L)
- AnthonyGreen (L)
- MattMcKenzie (L)
Booth Schedule and Setup
We need volunteers to man the following schedule. If everyone takes a 2-hour session once a day, we should have more than enough booth coverage.
- Setup, Wednesday 8am: (name1)(name2)
- Wednesday 10am-noon: (name1)(name2)
- Wednesday noon-2pm: (name1)(name2)
- Wednesday 2pm-4pm: (name1)(name2)
- Thursday 10am-noon: (name1)(name2)
- Thursday noon-2pm: (name1)(name2)
- Thursday 2pm-4pm: (name1)(name2)
- Teardown, Thursday 4pm: (name1)(name2)
- Hand out what schwag we have on hand.
- Hand out collateral: WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN FEDORA?
- Install on USB keys for those who are interested.
- Walk new contributors through signup process.
- Keep track of budget below (Jack)
- Write and design collateral (Jack)
- Figure out schwag needs (Jack)
- Come up with the detailed list of everything we need to have for setup (Jack)
* Marketing slicks * Posters * Booth banner * USB station
- Get details on BoF (Jack)
- Figure out final schwag requirements (Jack)
- Figure out advertising strategy (Jack)
* JohnPoelstra -- I have a small stash of t-shirts, usb keys, pens, and stickers, but would prefer to give this stuff out on a selective basis to people interested in or fans of Fedora vs. every random person doing "convention trick or treat".
- The expo floor itself and !BoFs, as well as OSCAMP and a few other select highlights are free, otherwise, please see links below for OSCON pricing information.