Echo cursor theme
- create new cursor theme for Fedora
- create cursor NamingSpec
- make it consistent with new Echo icon theme
- make three different sizes: 24x24 36x36 48x48
- make dark and light version
- make left-handed and right-handed version
- collecting ideas - please post your ideas to the Sketches section below
- to do:
- prepare new page similar to EchoDevelopment - need naming specs and cursor descripitons - DONE: Artwork/EchoCursors/Development
- MartinSourada - I have found a draft cursor-spec at freedesktop.org .
- MartinSourada - I made a list of Bluecurve cursors. It's a early draft, feel free to edit it: bluecurve-list . References (positions in 24x24 grid) are to this image: Bluecurve-24-1.png
- MartinSourada - I made a new list of cusors. There are compared freedesktop.org cursor-specs with KDE/QT and GNOME/GTK. At the bottom there is a list with cursors not mentioned in freedesktop.org spec, but present in File:Artwork EchoCursors bluecurve-list.txt bluecurve-list] . See File:Artwork EchoCursors cursor-list.txt cursor-list] . We should make a wiki page with a table based on this list where we prepare list of cursors we need to create with default names, descriptions and symbolic links (when the same cursor has different names).
- MartinSourada - Created new wiki page for NamingSpec .
- prepare script for building a cursor theme from cursor images
[[Image:Artwork_EchoCursors_MartinSourada - arrow: File:Artwork EchoCursors LL arrow48a.png File:Artwork EchoCursors LL arrow48a.svg LL SVG] File:Artwork EchoCursors LD arrow48a.png File:Artwork EchoCursors LD arrow48a.svg LD SVG] File:Artwork EchoCursors RL arrow48a.png File:Artwork EchoCursors RL arrow48a.svg RL SVG] File:Artwork EchoCursors RD arrow48a.png File:Artwork EchoCursors RD arrow48a.svg RD SVG]
- goal: 3D look, lighting as in Echo icons, easily distinguishable the point where the cursor points
- to do: further polishing of a shape and colour, adding shadow, changing size to fit well with additions like + or ? or throbber, making smaller versions
- testing: if you'd like to test the cursor I have built dark left-handed version with xcursorgen. Put File:Artwork EchoCursors arrow arrow] to /usr/share/Echo/cursors/arrow (note that arrow is file, not folder), create symlink left_ptr to "./arrow" (without the quotes) and in gconf go to /desktop/gnome/peripherals/mouse and set cursor_theme to Echo. It should work, if you use instead of "Echo" whatever else theme you have installed or, maybe even if you put it into ~./icons/theme_name/cursors/arrow but I didn't try it. If you try it, please report whether it works or not.
- mainly 3D-ish ones
- top left and one below: built up of basic primitives, second more square
- top-right block: thinner plain, wouldn't really work due to lack of clarity during use
- bottom-left: more Echoey, inc. outline; I see this as being green for some reason, reminds me of the redo icon.
- bottom-right: with the middle-left; other cursors to build up this set, double pointer is an alternative for hand and a no entry. This set are like folded paper, the bottom-left side having a little shading to fit with Echo lighting.
|File:Artwork EchoCursors Cone (preview)||File:Artwork EchoCursors BA-Cube-Arrow-48.png||File:Artwork EchoCursors BA-Cube-Hourglass-48.png||File:Artwork EchoCursors BA-Cube-Resize-48.png|
|Cone (files)||File:Artwork EchoCursors BA-Cube-Arrow-48.svg LL SVG]||File:Artwork EchoCursors BA-Cube-Hourglass-48.svg LL SVG]||File:Artwork EchoCursors BA-Cube-Resize-48.svg LL SVG]|
- looks quite fine and detailed: may work given the sharpness of the Echo icons but needs thinker lines for clarity? Will it get lost in the screen or wallpaper?